COM port assigned by Windows

pkf

Hi, on page 4 of the AXE027 manual, there was mention on the possibility of an unsuitable COM port assigned (e.g. COM20). What is the criteria for an unsuitable COM port being assigned ? In the the top most diagram on the right of the same page, only COM1 to COM10 were listed. Assuming Step 1 of the same page in the program editor was checked for grey out ports, can we infer that the possible COM port assigned must be between COM 1 to COM 10 so that no reassignment is needed ?

inglewoodpete

COM1 to COM3 are usually system assigned. It is generally safe to allocate COM4 upwards to additional port hardware (Eg USB/Serial adapters). You can reassign com port numbers in your PC's hardware manager.

pkf

>>Thanks<< I notice that in the hardware manager, COM8 was assigned by default when I had the AXE027 plugged in.

Am I allowed to use the same AXE027 cable on a 2nd PC, which may assign a different COM port for that PC ? or each download cable should only be tied to 1 unique machine ?

westaust55

Yes, you can use the AXE027 cable on multiple PCs.
Each PC may assign a different Com Port number as com ports are a function of the PC not the cable.
Always plug into the same USB port on a given PC otherwise you will need to install the drivers for each USB port used on a given PC.