Colour Change Shower Head - Powered by Water Pressure

DDJ2011

While surfing ebay for cheap kit I came across these colour changing shower heads - has anyone seen these or made one?

I'm curious how the water pressure powers the circuit?

Item description includes:
No battery needed, it is powered by the pressure of water,Very environmental.
Can be used more then 6000 hours.
Below 25 C,Lights Green.
From 26C -35C,Lights Blue.
From 36C -45C,Lights Red.
Above 46C -Red Strobe(Alarm).

Dippy

Why not be original and design a plastic duck for the bath that changes colour and propels itself along using a Microblower.
(I wonder if they'll do a version that can pump fluid).
There you go; 2 copyrightable ideas in a single post :)

Mind you, with Ec's search-fet he'll probably find this has been done already.

manuka

Colour/color changing shower heads are certainly innovative (& may eventually become a safety standard), but experiences with cheap ones indicate leaks,reduced flow pressure,noise & premature failure of the microturbine may occur.

As water pressure is essentially "free" they're really nothing new (refer past US patents),& such indicating shower units are merely just piggy-backing on coloured LED energy improvements.

Of course it's tempting to hack one for pressurised PICAXE powering,although (compared with solar power) water wasting may become an issue...

Attachments

Last edited:

Dippy

"...experiences with cheap ones indicate leaks,reduced ...."
- sounds like Stan has been buying cheap CH goods again ;)

I wish my water was free! I think it's over 80p per cu metre , so a fully staffed Nuclear Power station would be a cheaper way of lighting some LEDs :)

Dippy

I think someone is spending too long in the bath if they need a rubber duck, whats next a teddy bear for bed time???
- Uh oh , that'll get the Googlemeister going again :)

One day they'll invent a solar+wind powered clothes drying device.