Ciseco ERF module - data sheet

micrometal

Digging through my bits box the other day I found three Ciseco R003 ERF modules. Two of the modules are exactly like the one shown in this post. I think that I bought them just before Ciseco closed down but didn't have an immediate use for them. I would like to use them now, but cannot find any data sheet. Can anybody help me out?

I have seen lots of reports that Ciseco modules "work straight out of the box" and I have used Bluetooth modules so maybe I don't need to know much. Can I use a 5v supply? I guess that I connect the Rx/Tx pins to serout/serin but what do I have to do to the CTS/DTR pins?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Official Ciseco documenation was always a bit thin on the ground and could be somewhat confusing. We do still have some data on the ERF and URF -

RFA020 - ERF - https://picaxe.com/docs/rfa020.pdf
RFA021 - URF - https://picaxe.com/docs/rfa021.pdf

From what I recall -

ERF - A module for PICAXE and other micro interfacing
XRF - A drop-in XBee replacement module
URF - The original PC-side interface board
SRF - The later PC-side interface dongle

I believe ERF programmed with PICAXE compatible firmware have yellow antenna, can be used with PICAXE download circuit. If they came from us they should have the PICAXE firmware installed.

If not programmed with PICAXE firmware I believe they can still be used with a PICAXE but the RX/TX polarity is inverted and they can't be used in the download circuit. I think the XRF is basically an ERF without PICAXE firmware and a different pin-out.

I also believe the later ERF with the piggy-back board has the same pin-out and operates exactly the same as the original ERF, is just different hardware, but it's been some time since I used them., and not actually sure I ever used one with a piggy-back board.

I do have some notes, diagrams and code, so I guess you should be able to get them going, do something with them.

The ERF is 5V compatible which is probably the headline question.

ERFCCT.jpg

Click to enlarge

micrometal

Thanks @hippy for your quick response. One of the modules has a yellow antenna, but it also has an inked cross on the main module so maybe that one has bitten the dust. They are all in an anti-static bag marked Ciseco Ltd so I am pretty sure that the others came directly from Ciseco. It is clearly labelled 'ERF 0.1" pin spaced radio module' and "Checked by MP".

Anyway - I have enough now to make a sensible start. Thanks again.

micrometal

Thanks Jack - that is a lot more than I ever expected to find. I had tried a lot of Googling, as I had thought, without finding anything much at all. Now I am overwhelmed!