Circuit Help

GeorgeSmith

Hi guys

I have the following circuit.

Untitled.jpg

I want to link this in with a picaxe but I have to use it in this configuration. If pin1 = 1 then do something.

I would have an input into the picaxe in between the power supply and the switch if I could!

Thanks

oracacle

i am strugling to understand what you mean. you also ahould have a tie down resistor from the switch to ground, i normally use 10k

also look at manual 3 page 26

SAborn

I thought you guys spoke English in the UK, so can you try to explain what it is you need to do using the queens English, as your post reads as gibberish.

oracacle

it hard for me to read and write, it normally takes me at least 3 read throughs before i get half an idea of what has been said, and just getting letters some where near the right order to make words is harder than most people can come close understand.

how ever i do feel a little better knowing i wasn't the only one finding the op hard to understand

nick12ab

Is this what you're looking for?

View attachment 11702
The battery symbol shows the negative terminal at the top and the positive terminal connected to the switch. The remaining switch terminal would then be connected to the PICAXE and also a 10k resistor down to ground. The negative terminal of the battery would also have to be connected to ground.

If the battery voltage is more than the PICAXE's power supply + 0.3V (Vdd+0.3V) then a resistor between the switch+pulldown and the PICAXE pin would be needed.

'Ground' is 0V in the PICAXE circuit, not earth.

russbow

George, I think you want to detect a pin going high when your button is pressed.
The circuit in Manual 3 suggests this.

inp.jpg

Note the resistors.

The pin is held low (0v) through the 1k and 10k resistors to earth.

When the switch is pressed, the junction of the two resistors is taken to 5 volts. Note the 10k prevents a short circuit across your battey, and the 1k pulls the picaxe input pin up to 5 volts and limits the input current to a safe value.

Then as you say, your program would be 'if pin 1=1 then do something.

Hope that makes sense.

R.

Ah, beaten to it

cactusface

Hi George,
I think Russbow has the right idea, a pretty standard input circuit and he's explained it well. The 10K holds the pin at 0v until you press he button then it's high at 5v, the 1K making sure the current from 5v is safe! Ohm's law: 5v=5000/1000 = 5ma.
Does that clarify it any.
Regards
Mel.

Last edited:

John West

As I'm unfamiliar with the Queen's English, having (through no fault of my own,) been born in the colonies, could someone tell me if "he" means the same thing as "the" in the Queen's English? Thanks.

russbow

John, do I detect a little bit of sarcasm there? I don't understand your question old chap. But really, this is George's thread and very little has been done to help him. Maybe posts 2 and 3 scared him off.