chip numbers

davidwf

Is PIC16F1847 exactly the same as PIC18M2+?

I ask as the ones I recently purchased (from a reputable UK supplier) are only marked 16F1847 with no reference to them being 18M2+

TIA

hex

From the PICAXE manual 1:

More recent M2 parts are custom parts ‘factory engraved’ with the full PICAXE
name. Other parts are simply ‘engraved’ with the Microchip part name.
PICAXE Type Engraving on top of chip
• PICAXE-08M2 PICAXE-08M2+
• PICAXE-14M2 PICAXE-14M2
• PICAXE-18M2 PICAXE-18M2+
• PICAXE-20M2 PICAXE-20M2
• PICAXE-20X2 PIC18F14K22
• PICAXE-28X2 PIC18F25K22
• PICAXE-40X2 PIC18F45K22

Did you buy PICAXE-18M2? or did you buy PIC16F1847?

If you bought PIC16F1847, then you bought the wrong thing

If you bought PICAXE-18M2 then you probably bought the right thing, but the engraving might not match what the Manual part 1 suggests.

Which UK supplier? What part number?

PIC16F1847 is NOT the same thing as PICAXE-18M2+. Both use PIC16F1847 as a base device, but the PICAXE has firmware written in at the factory

My PICAXE-18M2+ chips were bought recently from Rapid Online, but are marked PIC16F1847. This contradicts the manual and does not match the picture, but is of no consequence to me. They work perfectly well as PICAXE chips,
Rapid PICAXE

Last edited:

hex

Looks like you bought the right thing from RAPID

No idea what you might have bought from Ebay - Ebay seems like scammer heaven to me :(

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I ask as the ones I recently purchased (from a reputable UK supplier) are only marked 16F1847 with no reference to them being 18M2+
During the 'supply chain crisis' Microchip took a decision to prioritise manufacturing generic chips with their own labelling over OEM labelled devices so we had no choice other than to take chips with Microchip labelling rather than our own.

We updated our PICAXE label information but it can be a surprise when expecting to see our more familiar labelling -

If ordered as PICAXE chips then they should be PICAXE chips, and if they have the "I'm your PICAXE" welcome program installed, PE6 can download into them, it would be extremely surprising if they were not.

davidwf

During the 'supply chain crisis' Microchip took a decision to prioritise manufacturing generic chips with their own labelling over OEM labelled devices so we had no choice other than to take chips with Microchip labelling rather than our own.

We updated our PICAXE label information but it can be a surprise when expecting to see our more familiar labelling -

If ordered as PICAXE chips then they should be PICAXE chips, and if they have the "I'm your PICAXE" welcome program installed, PE6 can download into them, it would be extremely surprising if they were not.
great stuff....thanks for confirming