Cheap addressable sound sample player

boriz

I'm open to suggestions for my next probably-never-complete-it project.

I play a weekly RPG (pencils and dice) game, and I figure why not make it easier with an electronic dice that can be easily configured for any probability. Easy yes? Ok, so I've purchased a couple of nice big blue 7-Seg LEDs, and a nice transparent blue plastic enclosure, and a rotary encoder (knob) with button feature, and a 20M2 and I'm ready to go. But...

I recently purchased a sound machine, and we have had good use out of it at the game, so now I figure why not build into the e-dice a sound feature where any of upto 100 sound samples can be easily selected and played individually. Now I'm outside my comfort zone. I know little about storing and reproducing digital sound samples. And I don't intend to throw money at this project just to make it easier. (A couple of sound machines and a set of dice cost about £15)

The sample quality does not need to be Hi-Fi, it's going to be played through a 2.5" 'transistor radio' style speaker, but I does have to be 'good'. Samples will be between 1s and 6s long and monophonic. I'd have to be able to drop samples onto it from my PC, but the method and format is unimportant. And it should be cheap.

Ok, Go!

inglewoodpete

I have used Audacity to edit existing sound tracks and record my own.

It can open sound files, display and play the tracks in mono and stereo and allow you to takes sound samples etc. Quite simple to use too and it can be downloaded free.

srnet

I use audacity too.

For a freebie it does quite a lot.

You can even post process recordings to add filters, remove noise etc.

There is also a portable version which you dont need to install and can run from a memory stick ......

inglewoodpete

There are a couple of negatives about the WTV-020 module. It may be what boris is looking for but it appears to use a Mini-SD memory card which is less common that the SD and Micro-SD cards. Also, I found this in a review on the A**** forum: "...be mindful that this IC was primarily designed to deliver audio content at or about the sound frequency of the human voice, and as such the dynamic range of the audio output is limited. And it's mono only."

Last edited: