Central locking for cars using a picaxe.

Keith Smith

I am in the process of building a central locking controller for my ute and while the electronics and program are not a problem, I do not understand the operation of the actulator. The actulator that I am using is a very generic and readily available 5 wire "Steel Mate" brand, this one comming from Jaycar Electronics. The actulator seems to sit in a neutral position until 12 volts is applied to the motor which causes it to extend, stop and try to draw approx 3 amps. Removing the power causes the actulator to return to the neutral position. Applying 12 volts in the oppisite direction causes the actulator to retract, stop and draw approx 3 amps. once again removing the power causes the actulator to return to the neutral position. Cearly I do not understand how to drive these actulators, I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with these devices?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Use two relays, one (SPST) to turn power on and off, the other (DPDT) to toggle the door lock 'motor' so one end goes to the first relay, the other to chassis, activating that relay switches the ends round.

To use, energise the DPDT to select opening or closing, then activate the power supply relay for a short period.

<b>Always fit an appropriate type and value fuse. </b>

If you don't know what an appropriate fuse would be, you probably shouldn't be tinkering with your vehicle. This forum can offer advice and help, but I'd recommend also doing some research before turning your ute into a barbie.

Edited by - hippy on 21/03/2007 13:42:17

Michael 2727

There are Master and Slave units available.
With 5 wires sounds like you may have a Master.
It's hard to say exactly what you have, short
of going to jaycar buying one and peeking inside.
The extra wires may configure the unit from
internal limit/polarity changeover terminals/switches.
Similar to those found on windshield wiper
motors which break the circuit at a given
point in the rotation. (that way they always
stop when the wiper blades are down at the bottom of the window )

Did you get an instruction sheet ?
If you only need 2 units for a Ute go tell
jaycar and ask if you can photocopy the wiring
details from a full set. ( tell em I sent you ~ ;o) )
May be just cheaper to go buy the full set
with Controller, Master, Slaves and instruction
sheet for $49.95, fuse probably comes included ~ ;o)

Grrr,,Now I'm stuck here, sitting in pitch black.
My CFL just failed, can't see past the desk.
Looking for white LED and Blink.bas,
where are the cangles when you need them ?
Eyes adjusting, waits ~;o(

Edited by - Michael 2727 on 21/03/2007 20:31:03