Can't program legacy devices

I've been having difficulty programming legacy devices (M, X and X2 devices) with the tool chain that I've used for years. I noticed the problem when I upgraded my Programming Editor software to the version before the current one (5.3.4, I believe) and I continue to have the problem with the current version of the software (5.4.0).

At first I thought it might be a problem with the 3-wire serial cable that I've been using. I decided that now was the time to upgrade to a USB-based programmer, so I bought one from PH Anderson. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my problems.

I am able to use the "Check firmware" button in the Programming Editor to see an 18M2, but all other devices report that there is no PICAXE present. I've tried a 20X2, two 18X chips and two 08Ms with no luck. I've tried two 18M2 chips, I can see both. One of the 18X chips and the 20X2 chip continue to run the programs in them without problems.

On one breadboard, I've got a project that includes an enhanced serial download circuit that I used to program an 18X. I can no longer see or program an 18X in that circuit; however, when I replace the 18X with an 18M2 I can see and program the 18M2 with no problems.

I've tried two different connections between the PC and the PICAXE, an Airlink 101 USB to Serial converter and a Modern Devices USB BUB II. While neither of these devices is an "official" product, I've used the Airlink 101 since 2007, and the USB BUB II is highly recommended. I can use either of these to connect to an 18M2, but neither will connect to anything else.

Here's the environment that I'm working with:
  • Toshiba laptop running Windows 7
  • The Prolific driver from the Rev Ed Web site
  • Airlink 101 USB to Serial Adapter -or-
  • PH Anderson's USB BUB II - based set up, with Tx and Rx reversed.
  • Enhanced serial download circuit on a breadboard -or-
  • Standard serial download circuit on a breadboard -or-
  • Enhanced serial download circuit on a project board that previously worked fine
  • Regulated 5-volts from a wall wart -or-
  • 5-volt regulated power from the BUB II
  • Programming Editor 5.4.0

I've tried doing a complete uninstall/reinstall of the Programming Editor software , but that didn't have any effect. I'm at a loss right now, and couldn't find anything that helped on the forum -- though if you know of anything out there that addresses this I would sure like a pointer to the post.

If nothing else I'd like to try an earlier version of the Programming Editor software to see if that's really the problem, but I didn't keep the installer for the old version and there aren't any links to earlier versions on the Rev Ed Web site.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

nick12ab

Try the Wayback Machine. That is a database of web pages from the past and includes a download for Picaxe Programming Editor from November last year.

Click here to download

Download it quick before Rev-Ed requests them to pull it off the internet as it's against the license agreement to redistribute it!

The version on the Wayback Machine is 5.3.1, and unfortunately, doesn't work either. The one that I remember working had a radio button list for the serial ports, not a combo box. It may have 5.2.X.

I also tried Winaxepad 1.3.0 -- it sees an 18M2 just fine but doesn't see an 18X.

I admit, I'm stumped. An unless someone has an idea, I've got 14 legacy Picaxim that are going to have to go into the junk box.

manuka

Have you tried an "old banger" D9 fitted laptop ? These ALWAYS work in my experiences & I'll reach for one whenever USB-serial woes arise. Such laptops- many of which have shot batteries - still run the PICAXE editor OK, & are often free to a good home.

cravenhaven

There has recently been a great discussion on 'non-standard' programming cables. Do a search.
I am using a prolific usb-serial cable and had no problems at all with the 18m2. When I moved to a 20X2 I had to add capacitors to the voltage regulator input and output and make sure there was a bit of a load as well (just an old LED across the power).
Works ok now but still not as reliable as with the M2

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This issue is not a software update issue, you wouldn't see those kind of problems just because of a ProgEdit software update. The issue is elsewhere (as, for instance, the 18X download code within PE has not changed for a number of years). 18M2s work at lower voltages than older parts, so we would see the power supply as most likely cuplrit.

I think that I beat the problem into submission.

First I set up Programming Editor on another computer that has a 9-pin serial port. That computer was able to consistently see any Picaxe that I showed it.

Next I hooked up my Airlink cable to my laptop and tried that. After several tries I was able to get it to consistently see all my Picaxim by hitting the "Check Firmware Version..." button and then applying power to the Picaxe.

And finally, I was able to get my USB BUB II to recognize 08M, 20X2 and 20M chips by putting a .01uF ceramic capacitor in the breadboard power bus right next to where I'm programming my chips.

Thus ends my sad tale.

Thanks for your help, everyone.