Cannot un-install old programming editor

AJZ

I am trying to install the latest Programming Editor. During the install it is trying to remove old versions of programming editor.
First I get a message saying: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package 'Programming Editor.msi' in the box velow. Use source: C:\DOCUME~1\Adrian\LOCALS~1\Temp\_isD\".
Pressing OK does not do anything.
Pressing Cancel causes another message to popup: "Error 1714. The older version of Programming Editor cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group."

Trying to remove the two old version (5.1.7 and 5.2.0) using windows add/remove programs causes the same pop-up message.

How do I remove the old PE so that I can install the latest?

MPep

How exactly is it installed in the first place? You mention a network.

However, does it not install over the top of the existing program?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The programming editor.msi is one of the new installation files. Basically Windows is saying 'I am trying to update the software using the installation file which should be in C:\DOCUME~1\Adrian\LOCALS~1\Temp\_isD\ but seems to be no longer available."

You therefore have some kind of permissions error with access to that folder.

AJZ

This computer is not part of a network. Only the fault message mentions network.
Also, I have administrative rights to this computer.

I searched the whole hard-drive for the 'programming editor.msi' file and only three files were found in c:\windows\downloaded installations sub directories. Pointing to these files or copying them and then pointing to them did not work.

How else can I completely remove the 'Programming Editor' software besides using 'Add or remove programs'?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The "C:\DOCUME~1\Adrian\LOCALS~1\Temp\_isD\" may well be a temporary directory which has since been removed or cleared out by Windows. Does this directory exist, does it contain anything ?

Which version of Windows are you using, 32-bit or 64-bit ?

AJZ

The "C:\DOCUME~1\Adrian\LOCALS~1\Temp\_isD\" directory is missing.
THe operating system is Windows XP MCE with SP3

papaof2

XP Media Center Edition does not work the same as other versions (such as Pro).

I don't know if that would affect the Programming Editor installation, but it certainly prevents "serious" software installation (SQL Server 2008 Express). I just installed a new hard drive and XP Pro on a friend's laptop so he could do development (including SQL Server 2008 Express).

John

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If the installation files have gone, the only real option is to manually uninstall the program.

Locate the "C:\Program Files\Programming Editor" directory, back up any PICAXE Programs you have placed in there or in subdirectories, remove the directory and sub-directories. Re-Boot and check the directory does not re-appear.

You will likely end up with the multiple indicators of Programming Editor still installed in the Add/Remove Program list and they probably won't remove themselves. I have other programs which do the same and don't know the trick to get those removed from the list. I just live with the problem until I have to re-install XP.