Can someone recommend a low power LCD display

oKors

Here are my needs:

Low power consumption, low supply voltage (<5Vdc)
small (1.5-2.0" wide at most)
4-6 digit numeric LCD display
Easy for a beginner to program with Picaxe

Most of the ones I've found seem to be either AC powered or are on the large size with more character room than necessary.

Again, I need 4-6 digit 7-segment numeric display only. No characters necessary (unless it's part of a super sweet ready-to-go package).

I'm getting bugeyed trying to find one online, maybe if someone has one to recommend or has a good source they'd like to share...

Thanks!

oKors

I think this comment from post #1 might be significant.
Thanks russbow. Really those requirements I mentioned are bare minimums. More is of course better for future expandability options, but also I really need to keep in simple in terms of programming.
And small is also more of a priority than character count.

Thanks for the great posts fellas. I should also mention I'm in the States so from an ordering standpoint anything overseas may not be cost affective. But either way, once I have a part number I can shop around.

:)

papaof2

I should also mention I'm in the States so from an ordering standpoint anything overseas may not be cost affective. But either way, once I have a part number I can shop around.

:)
You need to detemine the total price (including shipping) before dismissing buying from "overseas". I needed some 40X2's a while back but only the most expensive US/Canadian suppliers had them in stock. Buying directly from Rev-Ed (including shipping) was actually cheaper than the posted prices (including shipping) from North American sources.

John

westaust55

@oKors,

why specifically are you trying to limit your search to say 6 digit 7-segment LCD displays.

In doing some searches for you I find that most 7 segment type LCD displays are just the display and then you must buy and interface a driver chip.

The majority of the simpler and smaller 8x2 alphanumeric displays already incorporate the HD44780 Controller and this is easier to interface to.
With this you can interface to a PICAXE with 6 output pins or buy a serial to parallel interface "Back-pack" (Wulfden or PHAnderson for example) and then require just a single PICAXE output pin.

Futurlec (for example) sell both the bare 7-seg LCD and small alphanumeric displays. http://www.futurlec.com/LCDDisp.shtml

On this forum, I suspect more have experience with the HD44780 Controller for the alphanumeric displays than other controllers for the bare multi digit 7-segments.

Last edited:

kevrus

As Westaust says, an HD44780 is probably the easiest LCD to impliment. For low current, I would try to find an OLED display. Uses the same HD44780 but needs no backlight and the response is quicker than the LCDs (at least, it looks that way to me).
For just digits, you may be able to use 'special characters' to give large digits. I believe PH Anderson has a serial chip that may already do that.

Dippy

I think the problem you may have is finding a general purpose LCD/GLCD which is low power (like your watch).
We musn't get muddled up between a simple LCD panel where the AC voltages need to be supplied and a full module, where all is done for you but will have a higher current and cost.
You could get the best current figures if you do all the hard work, but it depends if you 'cost' your time.

It's always a problem getting the right size. Often these standard displays are more expensive or never the right size. Often (esp with GLCD/OLED) they are 'run ons' from a manufacturer's contract.

There are just SO MANY suppliers of LCDs and GLCDs internationally that only Westy will remember them all without Googling:)
And as I would also go 'bugeyed' searching I'll leave that to the Google-meisters who don't get out much ;).

If the display needs to be permanent then you will have to search for a display where you do the driving I suspect.
Maybe some old HH:MM:SS clock display or maybe some OEM device where they've made LCDs for it. (e.g. a desktop multimeter).

Kevrus mentions OLEDs. They are pretty hefty on power when displaying.
You don't get something for nothing I'm afraid.
(Though I must admit they are very good. I've nearly completed a driver and they can run very fast. Nice).

oKors

@oKors,

why specifically are you trying to limit your search to say 6 digit 7-segment LCD displays.
Size restrictions mostly. The project I'm working on is going to be housed in a small rectangular weather-proof box. The Display will show through the lid with a protective clear window. That being said, if there's a seperate driver chip or some 'external' interface needed to drive the board, I can house that inside the box with the rest of the circuitry (size dependant) and run a ribbon cable or whatever out to the lid.

All of these are good recommendations. That's why I'm requesting input from such a large group of experts ;) . Honestly I don't know what's out there which is readily available and also easy to program.