Can I throw it off the roof yet? AXEpad will not recognise device/ports/plus more

Cillakin

I am using Ubuntu 13.04. I am using an AXE 027 cable. I have followed the documentation in the AXE027 guide to no avail. The following error is shown.Screenshot from 2013-08-17 16:05:08.png

This website's "solution" also did not change or help at all.Link.

This seems to be a common issue with no common solution as everything appears outdated or irrelevant. Any help is most appreciated.:)

EDIT: Also I have tried putting it into every port on my laptop, nothing works.

Last edited:

Cillakin

No as the issue isn't LINAXEpad as it appears the problem is the FTDI Driver. Of course it may just be LINAXEpad, I'm not sure. The version of Ubuntu they are using is 10.xx and the current version is, and I am running it, 13.04.

After a good read through of that thread it appears the issue is infact LINAXEpad and not FTDI Drivers for the AXE 027 cable because the device is recognised with a lsusb command. I will give it a go and report back on whether or not this works. Should someone have a quicker or more summarized solution it would be most welcomed!

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The thread is indeed about AXE027 if you read it through. Try, as suggested:

$ sudo modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x0403 product=0xbd90
$ sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0

Cillakin

Yes I did go through it and followed the steps. I got a lot of progress. When I tried to reprogram the picaxe it failed (forgot to put chip back in socket, doh!) but when I retried with it back in it reported the same initial error as before. The dialout command used was unnecessary as terminal reported back that the user was already a member of that group or something to that extent. I'll report back shortly. Thanks again.

EDIT: I'm getting an error indicating that it is searching for hardware on ttyUSB0 but cannot locate it. I am unsure if the port I used was USB0, so I closed LINAXEpad, reran the code suggested and it reports the initial error. For reference it says "err=16" so Error 16. I will reboot, rerun the code, and try to reprogram. During this process I will either take video to clearly show my steps, code, etc. or a series of screen grabs.

EDIT2: I have narrowed it down quite a bit! First I reran the commands in terminal and tried to reprogram, it made progress until it searched for hardware, again, and it found nothing. I am not sure if maybe the board I made I jacked up somehow (plausible) or if this is still a software issue. In any case I also ran the USB Modprobe function in LINAXEpad and it reported the following results, plus additional screen grabs for any additional clarification.

Screenshot from 2013-08-17 17:27:33.pngScreenshot from 2013-08-17 17:24:29.png

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Cable is now working fine, but PICAXE hardware is not responding. Check your actual circuit/power supply.

inglewoodpete

Troubleshooting when the PICAXE won't program.

I'm not an AXEPad user, so am not familiar with what features are available in it.

The programming connection requires all three wires to be connected.

1. Many beginners do not realise that the 0v or ground wire must be connected. Check that it is connected to the -ve supply line in your PICAXE circuit.
  2. When powered up, the new PICAXE outputs a pre-programmed, repeating message that has been coded into the chip. If you have never successfully programmed the chip before, try opening a terminal program and monitoring the incoming data. Does the AXEPad have a built-in terminal program? If you receive the PICAXE's welcome message on the terminal screen, then the PICAXE's Serial Out connection is working.

Once you can receive data from the PICAXE in to the terminal program....​

3. Refer here to perform a loopback test. Remember to only connect the sleeve and ring contacts together - not the tip. Do characters typed into the terminal screen get echoed through the cable loop back to the terminal screen?
Report back on how you go on each of there steps. Forum members will take you through the next steps.

Cillakin

Success! I tried a whole new board (3rd one today) by completely isolating the audio jack from the rest of the circuit, combined the appropriate pins and fed to headers. I connected the wires to the headers and the opposite ends to the SERIN/SEROUT and 0V lines. I think in addition to the software I had some hardware issues. Glad it is all resolved.

For future reference to any one that comes by this in the future: Ubuntu 13.04 will work with the aforementioned thread in post #2.
Thank you all very much for the help, you saved some silicon today. Was about to take the blow torch to them and say screw it! Thank you all, it is much appreciated. :)

inglewoodpete

I'm glad you got your setup working. I have programmed over 100 PICAXE circuits and rarely have trouble. It's a matter of understanding the requirements and what pins on both the chip and programming socket must be used.

Note that if using a breadboard, a PCB-style socket will not work without extensions on the pins.
BB_SerialTop-3.JPGBB_SerialBot-4.JPG

Hardware issues are pretty hard for others the diagnose without seeing good quality photos of your circuit.