Can I Power My Circuit Like This?

DDJ2011

Hi,

Is it possible to use a simple voltage divider to get 4.8v from a 12v supply, rather than using a 7805? I have attached a simple circuit diagram without capacitors for clarity.

Many thanks,

DDJ

12v Voltage Divider Proposal.png

nick12ab

How are you going to get 4.8V from what appears to be 1k and 1.5k resistors?

And are you going to attempt to power anything like an LED from that PICAXE?

I just wouldn't use that at all.

bfgstew

1K and 666 ohm resistor needed for 4.8V output.

But why not use a voltage regulator, much easier and does the job in one small package?

g6ejd

Is it possible to use a simple voltage divider to get 4.8v from a 12v supply, rather than using a 7805?

Yes you can, but the success of this method depends on the current drawn by the microcontroller, but the moment you start driving any loads you will get swings in supply voltage as the uController draws more current, leading to a drop in supply voltage, leading to unstable operation. As a minmium addition, you should add a 10uF or more capacitor across the lower resistor to provide some of power smoothing during transients. As nick12ab sadi, you will get much better results using a 7805L package to do all this.

eclectic

Last edited:

boriz

To add to the comments above...

A divider provides a voltage reference only. The stability of the voltage relies on how 'heavy' the load is. Any load placed between the divider point and ground will be the equivalent of putting another resistor in parallel with the bottom divider resistor. This will obviously change the divider voltage. A Picaxe can draw up to 90mA. Ohms law says that 90mA @ 4.8v = 53 Ohms!

How would it effect your divider voltage if you put a 53 Ohm resistor in parallel with your bottom divider resistor?

This is NOT a suitable way to power a Picaxe.

John West

Yep, DDJ. The regulator is the best idea. If you're tight for room, there are 78L05's that are much smaller than the standard 7805, although the 78L05 is limited to circuits that draw less than 100 mA.

inglewoodpete

A 7805 (or one of the many more modern drop-in equivalents) only takes a little bit more space than a 78L05, especially if you keep the current down and dispense with the heatsink.