Can a 20X2 reliably handle 19200 baud hserial?

Pongo

Can a 20X2 reliably handle 19200 baud hserial? Would it help to run it @ 16 MHz (or more)?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It should be able to reliably handle 19200 okay.

For output there should be no issues at all.

When receiving a greater limitation than baud rate is how quickly characters come in at that baud rate. There is some hardware buffering but the PICAXE needs to take data received and put it in the scratchpad quickly enough to prevent overflow of the buffer. Running at higher speed can mean more chance that the PICAXE can avoid an overflow but it is not always necessary.

Pongo

Working fine, thanks. I asked because I thought I had read somewhere that the 20X2 couldn't handle > 9600 but I must have been mistaken.

inglewoodpete

Working fine, thanks. I asked because I thought I had read somewhere that the 20X2 couldn't handle > 9600 but I must have been mistaken.
hSerial is extremely flexible, since the divider for the baud-rate generator is actually specified in the hSerSetup command (B19200_16 has a numeric value of 207 for the 20x2). So, if you find the standard divider results in synching at more than a few percent off your target frequency, you can specify a slightly different divider to correct it.

I have generated reliable baud rates (for transmitting) at up to 250,000 baud with hSerial on a PICAXE.