byte 0

vcabanillas

always fails , i can not do anything,the picaxe firmware is recognised and that's it, i made my own serial cable,any help?
at the beginning looks that is going to do the downloading and suddenly stop, is talking about the battery the reset, i tried everything any suggestions?

Svejk

First, welcome to Picaxe forum.

Please describe your problem in more detail:

1. what Picaxe chip are you using;
2. what board;
3. describe the problem step by step, in clear terms ie "when I try to program the Picaxe I get the following error", "always fail" isn't good enough;
4. a circuit diagram, even made in HandyCAD is better than nothing;
5. a photo of your setup may be worth 1000 words.

Posting in Active Forum is likely to attract more responses. Also, it would be a good idea to briefly state your experience so solutions can be answered at that level.

Last edited:

vcabanillas

i bought the buggy robot, with the picaxe 18 m , 4 mhz,i tried to load the program that comes with the manual, that the robot goes forward,,, back etc,when i connect , i put option and the picaxe firmware is recognized, but when i tried to load the sofware, say that the byte 0 faile , that the hardware is not connected, etc

vcabanillas

i check the cable that i made,with the software , that light a led , when it says that i have to measure from 0 to -1 , i measured -9v , and when the led is lit, i measured +9(i am using a old laptop with windows 98) i have experienced with electronics, but always this happen at the begining of this job, i used to work with the jdm in assembler in another projects for pics,and happen the same and i find out that the port wasn't very well attached.

westaust55

as Svejk has mentioned, please post your code as you have entered into the PE. There may be a typing error.

You mention "byte 0" but there is no variable called "byte 0"
do you mean the byte variable "b0"
see page 10 in PICAXE manual 2 (available form the link on the orange bar at the top of the forum pages if you have not already downloaded the manuals) for the pre-defined variable names.

BeanieBots

Sounds like a "verification error" (at Byte 0) though it would be nice to know the EXACT error message.
What are you using for power? Batteries? Un/Regulated supply? Voltage?

vcabanillas

it's verification error, i am not talking about programming , yet, the same happen when you do in assembler with the jdm, at the beginning they check the memory where it's going to be downloading, i am using 4 , 1.5 batteries, (it's the vcc, so important)according to the informacion i put 4 batteries.
first of all, svjek thank for the welcome, i am sorry i was so disrespectful

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Do you have a circuit diagram of your cable, something which shows what is wired to where ? Is this a USB-to-serial or an RS232 cable ?

As you are experiencing the same types of problem with the JDM programmer it could be that this laptop simply has problems with its serial outputs in such applications. Can you try on a desktop PC or another laptop ?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Can you run the Serial Port Test again and measure what the voltage is between 0V (ground) and physical leg 3 of the 18M. Also try with fresh batteries.

vcabanillas

programming

yes hippy,you gave me the voltage to start and i saw the changes,but after that i wanted to programm again or erase and i can't do it
the buggy use 4 aa batteries, i tried to get a voltage of 5 v of vcc for the pic so i changed the bateries but again comes the hardware not connected ,no vcc , and reset(it's possible to lower the voltage for example untill 3 v and still you can programm the voltage?)