Building the maze...

vttom

I'd like to build my own mazes for experimenting with a maze-solving robot.

I've been able to find precious little online about building the mazes themselves. Or, perhaps the data's out there, but it's swamped by too many hits for the maze-solving robots.

Can any members of this forum share what they've used (or have seen used) to make mazes with?

Ideally, I'd like something that is modular, portable, and re-configurable.

boriz

Do you have any books? VHS boxes?

If there are rules and dimensions for your particular maze-solving robot competition, then there is no way to respond intelligently to your question without knowing them. Otherwise just use what you have to hand.

vttom

Thanks for the tips. These seem to be micro-mouse specific. I was hoping for something a little more generic. I'm actually looking for something for use with the LEGO Mindstorm NXT robots (which are quite a bit bigger than micro-mice).

(I had found the site where they use bricks covered in duct tape. Novel idea, but I'd think they'd be awfully heavy to cart around.)

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I suppose it depends exactly what you want to build, micro-mouse concepts should certainly scale. If you are looking for lighweight, DIY and walls don't have to be overly robust, 'art-board' ( ~4mm polystyrene sheet which has card pasted on each side ) is very easy to work with.

Perhaps scour the search engines for "nxt robot maze" to see what others have done or used.