BSOD when I try to program anything....

Grogster

I am having this problem all the time now.

Anyone seen this?

Only ever happens at about 75% of programming the device.

PE 5.4.2, but I am about to upgrade this to the current version.
Prolific USB-Serial adaptor, which has been working fine up until now. :(

XP Pro SP3 on a little Acer netbook thing.

Goeytex

The problem is definitely related to the Prolific Adapter ( ser2pl.sys).

I would probably remove the adapter and driver, run Windows Update, scan for virus,
validate hard disk then download and install the Latest PL2303 Driver.

Could also be that the registry is loaded with entries of non existant "in use" com ports or other such nonsense related to
how Windows enumerates Virtual USB Com ports ... in which case the registry will need to be cleaned up.

Last edited:

K3KO

Careful on this. I tried this with an old PROLIFIC adapter and it was no longer supported by the recent Prolific download.
You may have to find the original steup program again.

I would probably remove the adapter and driver, run Windows Update, scan for virus,
validate hard disk then download and install the Latest PL2303 Driver.

Could also be that the registry is loaded with entries of non existant "in use" com ports or other such nonsense related to
how Windows enumerates Virtual USB Com ports ... in which case the registry will need to be cleaned up.[/QUOTE]

Grogster

Thanks everyone. :)

Things seem to have settled down since I updated PE to the latest version.

XP is getting a bit ancient, but I don't think that Win8 would run on this old thing, as although it is a great little netbook in terms of portability etc, it only supports 2GB RAM maximum(which it has), and I don't like the idea of running Win8 on 2GB of RAM and an Atom 1.6GHz CPU. ;)

Still, I have a couple of copies of Win8 - I could flick one onto this machine, and see how it goes, and if it is a disaster, I could put XP back on it - I have the XP CD too.

EDIT: Make that 1GB of RAM...

Last edited: