Break Signal support

thursdaybloom

After numerous attempts and failures at trying to communicate with my 08M I've decided to assume that my USB->RS232 converter doesnt support 'break signalling'.

Is there a way that anyone knows of to test if my USB->RS232 supports 'break signalling'? I'm unsure if it does or not and don't know of a way to find out.

moxhamj

How frustrating. There are numerous USB to RS232 devices out there and many do not work with picaxe. Non standard voltages, no breaks etc.

Two possible solutions:

Buy the one RevEd sell. It is proven and works and while you are at their site, get a demo kit. At least you will then have a working system. (There are local distributers all over the world - where are you?)

Or - do what I do, and go down to your local computer store and scrounge an old free computer. Giveaways go right up to 1.2Ghz now, and $20 will get you an even faster machine. Plenty fast enough for picaxe, and these computers have RS232 plugs on the back.

marcos.placona

How frustrating. There are numerous USB to RS232 devices out there and many do not work with picaxe. Non standard voltages, no breaks etc.

Two possible solutions:

Buy the one RevEd sell. It is proven and works and while you are at their site, get a demo kit. At least you will then have a working system. (There are local distributers all over the world - where are you?)

Or - do what I do, and go down to your local computer store and scrounge an old free computer. Giveaways go right up to 1.2Ghz now, and $20 will get you an even faster machine. Plenty fast enough for picaxe, and these computers have RS232 plugs on the back.
Australia must be a real paradise :D

slimplynth

Dear Doctor

Good doctorly advice from Dr_Ac.

Thursday, have you tried tried uploading a program using a mate's PC - with a serial port?

Last edited:

papaof2

Try a Prolific chip

After numerous attempts and failures at trying to communicate with my 08M I've decided to assume that my USB->RS232 converter doesnt support 'break signalling'.

Is there a way that anyone knows of to test if my USB->RS232 supports 'break signalling'? I'm unsure if it does or not and don't know of a way to find out.
Unless you have a "breakout box" or serial tester (which can display the status of all the serial leads), you can't "see" whether there is a break signal. They are available for under $20US:
http://www.usbgear.com/DB9-TERS.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Serial-RS232-DB9-DTE-DCE-LED-Link-Tester-No-Power-Req_W0QQitemZ360075155221QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360075155221&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

I have a "no name" USB->Serial adapter that works with the PICAXE (and Palm PDAs and serial printers and a Basic Stamp). The key feature is that the adapter uses a chip set from Prolific The Prolific chip set provides a proper break signal.

John

moxhamj

Re Marcos "Australia must be a real paradise"

It is! Plenty of space. More snow in winter that Switzerland (I just got back from skiing). Friendly wildlife (we almost always have a koala in the tree outside the front door, sometimes three). Computer shops with piles of old computers from floor to ceiling that are free (I ended up wanting one at the bottom of the pile).

And NZ is even more a paradise than Australia.

But we don't want too many people over here in Oz, so we sometimes talk about some of the downsides. Redback spiders that live behind the shed door that will kill you if you get bitten. Brown snakes that will also kill you if you don't get to hospital in 20 minutes (we have one living in the vegetable garden). Toxic nasty jellyfish that will kill you before you can swim back to shore. Blue ringed octupus that live in old cans etc left on the beach, and they will kill you too if you stick your finger in. You get the picture.

Nah, you don't want to come and live here. Really horrible place.

moxhamj

Luckily they only live in the Northern Territory and Queensland. And they are well trained to only eat tourists! (It is usually tourists that ignore the signs saying "do not pitch your tent next to this creek").

And re the RS232 - an even better option if you can get one is an older laptop with an RS232 connection. Even 700Mhz is fast enough for picaxe work.

Last edited:

westaust55

USB to serial problems

Which USB to serial cable are you using?
If it is the AXE027, then have you downloaded the FTDI drivers from the Rev Ed website. These are needed for the Programming Editor to work thru the USB port.
Other cables most likely also need to right drivers to be downloaded.
The FTDI drivers with MS Windows do not work (and apparently this is not just with the PICAXE microcontrollers).
There is a link at the top of the Forum screen in the orange band at right hand side to software and drivers.
Have you tried the simple test from within the Programming Editor to drive the Serial Input link high and check the voltage level at the PICAXE chip with a volt-meter to see if basic signaling is getting through?

Look at posts 13 and 14 here for some background on “break” signal use:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8882&highlight=break+signalling&page=2

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Have you tried the simple test from within the Programming Editor to drive the Serial Input link high and check the voltage level at the PICAXE chip with a volt-meter to see if basic signaling is getting through?
as suggested the 'COM port test' suggested here proves if break is working or not - clicking on the on-screen LED sets/clears break and the voltage should change at the chip input if the adapter is working correctly.