Breadboard adapter update.

Minifig666

I have been looking forward to using my etching equip for a while now but before I go and waste a whole batch.
Anyway on with my board:
The board I have designed is my own implementation of the AXE029 breadboard adaptor which is compatible with the 08,14, and 20 chips. I use the 08M allot so this one would be more convenient for me. The idea is that it straddles the chip and connects to the SERI/O pins and 0V as used many chips. I wanted it to be very small so the resistors are piggybacked behind the connector and the header pins are tucked under the connector. I just have a few questions. What is the best way to connect the header pins to the bottom of the board (it's single sided) and is my board correctly laid out correctly? Also as seen in the Arduino system how do you have both male and female header pins at the same point?

Attachments

Andrew Cowan

On some headers, the plastic part can be slid along the header - this might make soldering possible. All my square pin headers are like this.

Are yours?

A

westaust55

My method is:

1. Set up the header pins effectively upside down in the PCB holes so that the tips of the pins are flush with the top of the board (non track side) and the pins correctly alighned (perpendicular to PCB.

2. Solder the pins into place

3. Slide the black plastic strip down the pins. Use a pair of jaw pliers and for longer strips work along the strip a couple of times.
In a few cases I have build up more solder to help secure the pins and then completely removed the plastic spacer strip but the pins are long enoghj with the plastic strip in place.

For a set of header sockets as well as pins, think you really need a second set of holes adjacent to the heading pin holes into which the socket pins are soldered.

Minifig666

Thanks must try this, typically I forgot to print of the board layouts today at school and now where off for two weeks YAY!!!!!!!!!!