bread board query

BrendanP

I've got a smd device mounted on a 100 thou through hole break out board. The break out has 16 pins at 100 thou intervals on both axis so plugging it into a bread board is problematic

Does any one know of a bread board that is set up for this sort of app?

Dippy

"16 pins at 100 thou intervals on both axis"
- sorry, I don't understand.
Post a sketch.

Though, I must admit when you get complicated pinouts you sometimes have to make an adaptor.

Chavaquiah

Never found one breadboard like that (I needed it for a few LED displays plus some IDC headers).

Your best bet is to make a breakout for the breakout, pulling the rows 300 thou apart.

I assume you have something like this:

oooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooo

And need to get something like this:

oooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooo

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I'm guessing -

Code:
 oooo
o    o
o    o
o    o
 oooo
I've seen similar for QFP devices etc. If there's no pins on the board, flying wires to a DIP socket can work. If there are pins, remove them, then flying wire :)

westaust55

Sounds like an NQFP-64 package.

What exactly is the chip?

It just might also be available in somethinjg like a 40 pin SOIC package.
Adapters for SOIC as a bit more readily available.

I have donew several SOIC20 packages where the NQFP equivalent is a 32 pin package with some spare (NC) pins.

Minifig666

The way he/she/it says 100 thou makes me think 100,000 for some reason! It is a bit vauge! We need more info!!!!

tjetson

The way he/she/it says 100 thou makes me think 100,000 for some reason! It is a bit vauge! We need more info!!!!
Yes it can be quite confusing as both "thou" and "mill" both mean one one-thousandth of an inch. (therefore 100 thou is 100 thousands or 0.1)

BrendanP

Pins on the break out board are in a double row like this.
oooooooo
oooooooo

Standard DIP spacing both axis.(one hundred thousands of an inch i.e. a tenth of an inch, tough luck its in imperial but then the Americans put the man on the moon not the europeans.)

I don't think a breadboard exists thats set up for this spacing.

I've ordered lots of IC hooks/leads so that should get me out of trouble, if anyone knows of a bread board though let me know.

Dippy

Ah, the volcanic ash is clearing ;)

Looks like Chava won the sweepstakes.

So, it looks a bit like this?
http://uk.farnell.com/harwin/m20-9970846/header-extended-2row-8way/dp/1022228

I had exactly the same problem with 5+5 pinouts.
I made a little adaptor to turn it into a 0.3" pitch to straddle the centre section of my breadboards. Just like Chav's drawing.
As to whether you can get breadboard with a split centre i really don't know.
Let me know if something is available as I'd be interested too.

slimplynth

That's what I thought too (Nasa = imperial), think they'd like to change to metric but the cost of changing all their drawings would be immense and the likelyhood that a simple error of conversion to different units could cause a fatal disaster.

tjetson

I might be wrong, but I believe that they use metric to prevent conversion errors when ordering parts from Europe.

BrendanP

Thanks guys. I've ordered these from spark fun which should get me out of trouble.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9386

NASA/USAF might use metric now but in the days when they started using pcb's it was all imperial hence pcb spacings still often in imperial measurements.

(Ive just done a bit of goggling before I shot my mouth/keyboard off it appears a Austrian Jewish man named Paul Eisler living in the UK in the 30's was a pioneer of the pcb, anyway the UK is imperial too so the point remains the same.)

Von Braun must of found it a challenge but then he probably was just plain thankful he didn't end up on the end of a rope at Nuremburg or on a extended holiday in Siberia along with the remnants of the 6th army.

Dippy

UK is a right mix of Imperial and Metric.
I can ask for suasages in lbs or Kgs. But the road signs are MPH.
Mine's 12 inches long but I don't use it as a rule.
Europe or US... we're not quite sure, so we'll sit on the fence.