brainstorm a 'presence' sensor

I have to say I'm proud of you for trying to catch this guy! If that had been my 15 year old daughter that got beat up...........nevermind. Sounds like you have been doing... instead of just sitting and thinking...like me. Wish I could help!

I have been using this product for a couple of years now, using it to help take pictures of critters. The PIR unit does a good job, even in the Texas summer heat, and false triggers are rare, maybe because it was designed to be used outside in the first place. The transmitter can be painted to hide it better, or hidden in a bag to look like trash. Even if it is seen and stolen, you will still have the pictures, because you will hide the camera apart from the sensor. The receiver has a regulator that can power a Picaxe. Add a few parts...opto to power on and snap a picture...few resistors etc...and you will have a pretty decent unit for not too much money. Assuming you can get this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93068

I would be using RF remote flash units as well. Same thing, if the flash is stolen, you will still have the picture of who took it. Place the camera up high, out of the line of site, and the flash going off will make anyone look there instead of at the camera. What camera have you used, I may be able to help in other ways too...if you are on a limited budget like I think you are.

Last edited: