BintoBCD

donrecardo

Its probably my eyes because I am getting old but I searched up and down the index of Picaxe manual 2 for BintoBCD
Can someone tell me where in te manual I can find it . Also am I correct in thinking its only usable on X1 and X2 parts?

Regards
Don

westaust55

Don,

Do you have bookmarks turned on in the pdf readers you are using to view the PICAXE manuals?

In the later versions of Adobe Acrobat reader, if you have the toolbar down the left side visible, then you have the
  • security padlock,
  • view pages icon and then the third is the
  • bookmarks icon.
Click on that icon and you have a pane on the left with the PICAXE manual index available with text about twice the height of the document text.

If you have the toolbar turned off, then from the top toolbar select View/Navigation Pane/Bookmarks

Also easier to get to the details for a command that having to scroll back to the start of the manual for each command of interest

Mind you, in the case of BINTOBCD, you have to know that it is one of the Unary Math functions section.
Maybe Rev Ed could add some sub headers to the index links for these sub-sectional commands ?

Last edited:

John West

In a similar vein:

As those who have been reading all of the posts may recall, I too an one of those poor old souls who couldn't find what was right in front of me in a doc.

Old age and "senior moments" are inevitable, and so it just makes me more determined to look harder for what I need the next time. However, last week I did look carefully through the index of Manual 2 looking for the math functions. Couldn't find them, so I manually searched through every page in my copy of the manual until I finally found them. They were under the "Let" command.

I can now see why they would be associated with "Let," but I sure wouldn't have known it would be so until after I'd spent 15 minutes searching for them.

As they are not actually commands, they logically aren't listed in the index. However, It would be nice if their presence were noted alongside the Let command in the index for those of us working from a printed copy of the manual.

BTW, being of fading intellect, and as I was indeed looking through a printed version of Manual 2, it never occurred to me to just get on the PC, load Manual 2, and use the PDF search function, at least not until I'd already found the commands the old fashioned way. Habits of a lifetime are hard to break.

westaust55

last week I did look carefully through the index of Manual 2 looking for the math functions. Couldn't find them, so I manually searched through every page in my copy of the manual until I finally found them. They were under the "Let" command.
See also" Manual 2 under the heading "Variables - Mathematics"
starting at page 22 (for V7.2 of manual 2)
and Variables - Unary Mathematics starting at page 26

John West

Ah, Westy. I see I looked right past them. I apparently just looked at the first word of the commands as I scanned the index. Sigh. I'm not sure I should really keep at this hobby sometimes. I'm clearly getting too spacey for technical work. Old age and medications are taking their toll. I'm glad the picaxe has made micro-control work so much easier than it once was, or I'd have given up already.

Last edited:

westaust55

Do keep at it J.W.

It may be difficult to get to grips with some activities involving technology but we are told that keeping the mind active (as well as the body) is supposed to help us all reduce the chances of “brain failure” in our later years.

My thoughts are that as and when the eye sight deteriorates I will not be able to see the IC’s which are getting smaller and smaller going from DIP to SOIC (SOIC is tolerable)and now TSOC and TDFN. :rolleyes:
But when the memory fails I can have the joy of writing the same software again each day for the previously constructed physical part of those past projects. (A bit like the movie 50 First Dates). :eek: