Best way to program SMD PICAXE chip

Hi folks,

Is there a "typical" way to upload a program to an SMD PICAXE chip?
The application requires a minimal foot print so point-to-point wiring is my ultimate goal.

Is there a temporary breakout board to use? A chip adapter?

Thanks

Nitrous

srnet

The best way, by a very long margin, is to build in a programming circuit to your design.

Yes you can get sockets that allow you to clamp a SMT device in place and you could then pre-program that way, but they are not cheap.

Is your layout really so constrained that you cant find space for 3 small pads and the two resistors, thats all you need to build in the programming connection ?

tony_g

i go between a smd soic14 adapter prior to mounting them on the board or use an smd style micro jst 3 pin connector in my circuits for updating my code on them
its reliable so far and works very well

DSCF2215.JPGDSCF2214.JPG

John West

Tony, it looks like you have the programming resistor circuit mounted off-board. Do you add a pull-down resistor to serial-in after you're done programming?

westaust55

As there is a need for the SerialIn pin to be pulled to Gnd for normal PICAXE operation at least until a DISCONNECT command, therefore can not a couple of SMD resistors be included and a small 3-pin header which would then provide on board programming access for initial and any future update program downloads.

Last edited:

Adamey

^ This. I always count on the need to do software updates so include the ability to program in my circuit board design.

tony_g

Tony, it looks like you have the programming resistor circuit mounted off-board. Do you add a pull-down resistor to serial-in after you're done programming?
for this circuit the serial in pin is also being used as a general purpose input so the resistors are on the download connector, i also have another one just the same minus the on board resistors for a handfull of circuits that dont use the serial in but use the same connector, i seem to be always making smd style boards at the moment lol.

westy, i have done your mentioned method on a few boards using a jumper to select between pulldown/download, im using all the pins on this 14m2 so dont need it this time but when doing smd especially its definately a good idea to have the circuit.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to order an SOIC clip to DIP adapter from eBay.
I looks like the simplest way to go.
Nitrous