best 433 mhz units

Reefrich

Guys

Thought I would as which is the best 433 mhz unit currently out there to use for transferring basic data.

Its going to be used with the 18m2.

Your thoughts and links to buy would be great.

Cheers

MFB

A good reason to use the RF modules supplied by Rev-Ed is that they are well supported by documentation showing how to use their NKM2401 Manchester coder/decoder chips.

rigidigital

yeah they are good those rf modules

I used them first time mi tried using rf and with a couple of posts by forum members they wore up and transmitting.

I have moved on to xbee , they are harder to set up but for what im planning ineeded them , I think :)

manuka

Reefrich: Your query has been a near continual forum topic for YEARS, so perhaps try a past posting search. Any answer offered relates to many of life's choices, with "Which is the best car/wife/beer" perhaps akin.

Questions that typically may need responding to include: Where are you? What are your local 433 MHz regulations? What sort of electronics experience & resources do you have? What is your budget? What setup skills & patience do you have (taming some offerings can be a real challenge). Simplex? Half Duplex? Error handling? What local interference exists (often a VERY significant factor)? What range is needed? Modulation type (ASK,FSK,GFSK) ? What power supply is intended (some 433 MHz units are battery drainers & need a picky 5V supply). How soon do you need them (some nifty Asian units may take weeks to arrive).

Beware that many of the apparently cheap multi-pin modules now arriving can be exceedingly daunting to set up. Taming the esteemed finger nail sized Texas Instrument's CC1110 has taken ages to rework into Ciseco's user friendly XRF offering-check the parallel forum thread. The highly integrated CC1110 itself has some 250 pages of data to wade thru'- even Dippy would take a good 10 minutes to digest it.

I recommend that folks start REALLY SIMPLY,& only THEN move to superior units. Some short range "across the room" applications may be better handled with PICAXE IR (infrared) in fact.

Mmm- this is looking remarkably akin to "best car/wife/beer" considerations! Stan.

Last edited:

Dippy

Actually, I've written full transceiver code using the sister CC1101+PIC.
Including the 'Int Stan' routine which does a site survey while you have a cuppa coffee.

Yes, it took a couple of weeks to digest Data Sheet.
And another month to write the code.
It's a superb chip, but (and I don't mean to sound negative) it would almost impossible for 99.99% of PICAXErs to use it directly and fully.

If you wanted to use one at 434MHz you really need to change the BOM selection and type. This improves efficiency and harmonic output.

I've seen a number of posts where a novice spots some tiddly cheap RF chip (even the 'guts' of XBee) and thinks they can stick it on a bit of stripboard and have success - forget it please, you'll simply waste everyone's time.
Leave it to someone who a) Knows how to code and, b) understands RF PCB design and component selection.

The CC1110 is the same chip but with a processor on-board - a neater solution so well done CISECO.

Stan, there are some nice Semtech offerings if you're up to some tiddly RF PCB work?

Last edited:

Reefrich

Cheers for the input chaps, I'll have a look at a few of the links given.

Experience I have in electronics.......did a degree course and been teaching it a A-Level for the last 12 years, should be able to manage most circuits, however I am relatively new to PICAXE programming, have mastered the basics, and have messed around with Xbee for a bit. For what I want it for (A-level project applications) Xbee can be quite expensive and a bit complicated for the students.

Dippy

Have you read a recent thread on CISECO's XRF????

Or are you obliged to use a specific type of RF module?

Haku

The XRF's are remarkably easy to use from the very start, the ciseco team have done all the hard work of getting the wireless comms working for you, leaving you with getting to grips with the Picaxes serin/serout (or hserin/hserout) commands.

manuka

Yes indeed,but students (even at A-level -or perhaps especially at A-level) = tight budgets,pressured time frames,few resources,learner confusion + butter fingers assembly. All up hence start with PICAXE IR !

Stan. (40 years at the chalk face)

Dippy

Yes, true.
But, without more information this just turns into a circular discussion.
Doesn't it depend on the requirements of the course/module before you make a decision or tell people what to use?

Expense?
Can't a group of students share a device setup or take turns?
And I'm sure an RF device can last for next year's students too? You don't give the stuff away do you?
And if some careless so-and-so breaks it then get it's parents to pay.
People are so used to buying disposable CHCH that they must also learn the life-lesson that things aren't free and you get what you pay for. A lesson on landfill and the fuel used by a container ship and the environment would also help.
Simple.

Jaguarjoe

during WW2 non-operational issues caused more aircraft losses than enemy action.
I live about 30 miles from Willow Run airport, home of Henry Ford's WWII B-24 Liberator bomber factory. During the time these planes were made, the facility was jokingly refered to as "Will It Run" airport because of so many dud planes rolling out of the factory.
I think it still has the world's longest or largest machine shop.
The entire plant floor sloped towards the runway to allow gravity to assist in rolling the planes out.
Ypsilanti township, where the plant is located had the world's largest population of midgets and dwarfs because they were used as "rivet backers" in the skinny parts of the aircraft. There are still many living there.
The plant is located in Washtenaw county and not Wayne county (Henry's home turf) because he got into a fierce argument with Wayne county officials. He drove to the border of the two counties, took one step over the line and said, "This is where we will build it"

manuka

Dippy: I did say START with IR ! I'm an enormous fan of 433 MHz, but know only too well the frustrations that new users may experience.

FWIW -teens are considered the toughest users going, & groups of them may "innocently" destroy even battle hardened gear. I no longer take this personally, & consider my resource management techniques pretty sound,so now just recognise it'll be a reality. It occurs in all technical fields of course- during WW2 non-operational issues caused more aircraft losses than enemy action.

But never mind electronics-I recall once taking in to a class a beefy ~100 year old metal working anvil (inherited from my plumbing grandad) for some light copper work, only to have it astoundingly broken within a few hours. You & I could have hit it for days with a sledge hammer & never managed this...

Reefrich: All PICAXEs now handle Sony style IR via inbuilt INFRAIN(2) commands - see the manuals. The baby 08M however has so revolutionised simple & reliable 38kHz IR datacomms (both sending & receiving) that it's now the automatic choice for learners. Just purchase a Yishay style 3 leg 38kHz IR detector (for receiving) & an IR LED for transmitting. You can wire 2 IR LEDs in series for greater TX output & get ranges ~10m. Perhaps also grab a nifty universal IR remote from a coin shop,as these are great transmitters too. Naturally IR obeys the laws of optics, so the lads can even trial suitable lens & mirror enhancers for range extension and signal directioning quests. Hey-two topics at once! Stan.

Extra: Thanks JJ for that B-24 insight - popped in while I was editing!

Attachments

Last edited: