Behold!

kevrus

superb, I bet NASA would've loved that in the '60s. Maybe then the lunar landings would have actually happened.......or did they?

Dippy

Nice job. Very nice job.

(I would say "awesome" but I hate that word, especially in conjunction with "totally".)

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
"Brilliance from Brietech", and I see there are plenty of terrible puns thrown in for free.

Like Andrew, I was wondering about the LCD source too. I suspect it's expensive. Amstrad NC100's, if you can find one, have an LCD which can display 8x80 but not sure if it's actually text or graphics or how easy it would be to physically or software interface.

But, in these days of netbook PC's, no Wi-Fi ??? Fail :)

Will the V3 have an XBee to an XBee 'file server' ? Maybe a VDRIVE2 for external storage, or VMUSIC2 for 'music streaming' ?

I do like the way this keeps growing, and a great idea to write utility code in CHRIS#, move them to secondary storage to free up your firmware storage. When you get your hands on an X2, as I'm sure you will, you'll get another speed increase.

Andrew Cowan

I'm sure you can interface a PICAXE NET server - that would be amazing.

It wouls also be neat if you could find a large, serial, graphic LCD (320x240?).

A

slimplynth

Brilliant!!!

But I couldn't help thinking, about the flight to Japan..

The look on the face of the operator at the Airport security scanner when he see's the inside of a wooden box with some AA batteries and a few bespoke circuits...

...priceless :D

Two years ago an MIT student, sporting a custom made T-shirt with a breadboard, wires and a few LEDs attached to the front. One wrong move and the armed response team said they would have shot her. She was arrested and charged with something about hoax bombs. One to declare I reckon, good idea to make the DIY lappy easily accessible.

moxhamj

Sometimes, one picaxe user will rise up above the rest, to be lifted up on a pure shaft of light and gaze down in magnificience on all around...

I bet it is the lightest laptop around!

Re wifi, why not? I've just got 3 N8VEMs autoupdating their own operating systems via wireless so if they can do it picaxe can do it too. You just need the basics of an operating system - load files, run files, save files, chain files. It seems Brietech has all that.

We are not worthy!

steliosm

Amazing, well done!

You can satisfy Hippy's request by interfacing the laptop to an Xport device (which can either be wired or wireless). You could then use the network interface to do simple things, such as read RSS, send emails, simplified chat, etc.

Tinhorn

Ah, Nice case, is that hand rubbed walnut? I love all things made from wood and walnut is my favorite flavor. The brass corners turned out great and are a big plus. Good Job ! ! ! ! !

Oh!

and the PicAxe computer setup is neat too.........

:eek:

TinHorn

Brietech

The LCD wasn't actually all that expensive:

http://www.pjrc.com/store/mp3_display.html (only $42 USD)

I actually acquired mine for about $25 on e-bay back in 2007.

Re: networking - I actually have two serial radio modems! I had initially planned to put one inside, but then I would have had to make the case even thicker. The main problem was that I just ran out of firmware space. 4kb is just not enough. I wound up having to go back and shorten all of my error messages and things. I could go back and remove some of the "extra" features like Pong, and the native ability to play the "eye of the tiger" song, and probably fit in some reasonable networking over the serial port, but I figured I would leave that for the 28X-2's if they ever come out =)

I'm actually tempted to try to use a Propeller chip to make an NTSC serial display device and use a real screen, but I cringe to think how much space a GUI would take up in firmware =)

Brietech

Oh, and that weird brass-covered hole near the top of the screen is actually where I had previously had my camera (ripped from a gameboy camera) installed. Unfortunately, I accidentally wired it in backwards and let the magic smoke out =(

manuka

I too am seriously impressed, & wonder if a simple 433 MHz link could be included. Sure - it's not WiFi, but it'd be in keeping with the nature of the PICAXE level laptop. Stan

Brietech

That would probably fit, actually. I have some 900 Mhz serial links that can easily do 9600 baud at ~100 meters, but they're a bit bulky.