Battery question - connectons to 3rl12

CLUELESS1

I am looking at the 4.5v battery 3RL12 (ALKALINE, ULTRA 4.5V 3LR12 - 632856 - ENERGIZER) but I cannot find how connections could be made as the specs just say "pressure". Anybody know this battery? can I solder to it? etc Thanks

Dippy

I have soldered 'other brands' of the same style battery. Near the ends , not near the battery.
Or you could make a bracket with some battery springs.
Can you bodge some crimp/faston receptacle female spades?

PS. It always helps to provide links - people may not have as much time as you ;)

Dippy

They're just bendy bits of brass (or whatever). Well the old ones were. These batteries have been around since the dinosaurs and were often used in torches/lanterns... maybe even old meters.
The usual thing was that the device had some springy tabs (or thick springy wire) which pressed onto the battery terminals.
CLUELESS's method depends on whether the minimum amount of hassle is required when replacing the battery.
Spring battery terminals are available which can be attached to a strip of PCB, or a 'modified' crimp 6.35mm receptacle may be bodged into play.

Anyway, a little thought is required and as it's sunny I'll exit stage-left now.

AllyCat

Hi,

Ah yes, that looks like the very old batteries that used to be "standard" in bicycle lamps. The "contacts" are (springy) strips of brass that can can be bent upwards and used to directly contact the MES (screw) bulb. The other contact went via a switch to the reflector/bulb holder. It's certainly possible to just solder wires to the ends of these contacts, or use crocodile clips.

But why use such a (now expensive) battery? It's very similar to 3 AA cells in a holder. I still have a torch (presumably designed to use that battery) which came with an adapter that contains 3 AA cells (the main reason I bought the torch was for the adapter ! ).

The graphs suggest it may have a usable capacity around 2000 - 3000 mAhr, except for the third graph which presumably has a misprint? ( >100 Ahrs) :eek:

Cheers, Alan.

Dippy

Sun gone away...

Now, I know I'm an old worry-guts but when I saw the Fleabay advert it said "Expiry Date 2015" which even I realise is a year hence.
However, the boxes of Procell (Duracell) batteries I bought recently from CPC have an expriy date of 2020.

Now, we can argue the toss about date claims and reality forever*, but 2015 suggests old batteries to me - especially when the Data Sheet claims 7 year shelf life.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was 3 or 4 years since they saw the factory gate.
I guess that's why they're so relatively cheap.

Why have you chosen to use them Clueless - was it the Fleabay price?

* death or boredom may intervene ;)

CLUELESS1

Ooooops, I looked at the picture and thought it was much smaller in size, should have looked at eclectic's datasheet. You are correct, old battery, only fit for a light on a bike!! Glad I did not spend a lot of money, the guy on Ebay must be laughing his head off.
I only have a small aperture in the back of the case I'm using, and thought that was a better alternative to a 9v battery with voltage dropping. Never mind, I'll go away in some corner now for a while.

And yes Dippy, thought they were a bargain.

Dippy

Many guys on Ebay are laughing their heads off.
You wouldn't be the first to buy&bin.

Always worth some investigation before waking Eclectic up....

CLUELESS1

I looked at the offer again after you pointing out they have 2015 expiry. I have gone back to the seller saying they must be very old stock and I want to cancel. Have to wait and see what happens. I've learnt a big lesson today!