AXE133 Oled Commands........

marky26uk

Hi all,
Playing about with the oled display today, i was sending commands to the oled not mentioned in the datasheet supplied.
I found that sending 254,19 - dimmed the display, and sending 254,23 brought the display back to it's full brightness.
This is really useful, i made a clock/alarm & having this option is pretty cool especially at night when full brightness is really not needed, and probably would make the oled display last longer.
I've searched & searched the internet for a list of commands for this oled, but only found the stock commands that's supplied with these displays, does anybody know about these dim commands for this oled ?, or has any of you got a list of commands for this oled not supplied with the stock oled ?
These oled displays are great, it states on the suppliers website (www.techsupplies.co.uk) that you'll never want to go back to the usual LCD display, i can see why, i'll never go back to the LCD's now after using these oled displays.

Thanks all,
Mark

nick12ab

I found that sending 254,19 - dimmed the display, and sending 254,23 brought the display back to it's full brightness.
According to the datasheet, 19 turns the internal power off and 23 turns the internal power on. This is because those two numbers are %00010011 and %00010111 in binary and they differ by only one bit, and this bit is for the internal power because bits 0, 1 and 4 select the mode/pwr instruction.

It's a shame it is not a proper software dimming command. Depending on how the OLED is powered with the internal power off, long term use of this 'dimming function' could damage the driver IC.

The Winstar OLEDs really could do with software dimming capability. Virtually every other OLED on the market has this capability. I found a hardware solution for the Winstar OLEDs, but that only works by altering the feedback resistors in the switching regulator that is used to generate the voltage required for the OLED.

marky26uk

OLED Dimming of Display

Hi all,
Not quite sure what you mean by possible damage of the OLED Display, i've been using this function for 4 days now & all is well, can you please explain as to what is happening using this 19/23 command that seems to dim or brighten the display ?
I do see the in the datasheet to power on/off the display, but why would the 19/23 commands have this dimming effect ?

Kind Regards,
Mark

According to the datasheet, 19 turns the internal power off and 23 turns the internal power on. This is because those two numbers are %00010011 and %00010111 in binary and they differ by only one bit, and this bit is for the internal power because bits 0, 1 and 4 select the mode/pwr instruction.

It's a shame it is not a proper software dimming command. Depending on how the OLED is powered with the internal power off, long term use of this 'dimming function' could damage the driver IC.

The Winstar OLEDs really could do with software dimming capability. Virtually every other OLED on the market has this capability. I found a hardware solution for the Winstar OLEDs, but that only works by altering the feedback resistors in the switching regulator that is used to generate the voltage required for the OLED.

inglewoodpete

Download Winstar's document WS0010. I have my own local copy on my hard drive, so you'll have to google for yours.

The command table on page 22 (sheet 24 in you PDF reader) shows what the various command bits do.

neiltechspec

I have played with those commands as well.

Why would it possibly damage the driver IC. If that was the case then why include them as valid commands in the data sheet ?.

Neil.

nick12ab

Why would it possibly damage the driver IC. If that was the case then why include them as valid commands in the data sheet ?.
Because it's possible that in the absence of the proper power supply the output drivers of the OLED driver are being parasitically powered by parts inside the driver IC that are not supposed to be subjected to this load.

I cannot confirm this because there is no mention of any consequences of using it as a dimming function in the datasheet.

Last edited: