AXE027 USB Cable & Vist 64bit

dartec

Hi, Hope someone can help or point me in the right direction. I am using Vista 64bit and Programming Editor 5.2.7.

I have the AXE027 USB programming cable which is sen as com8 and all drivers appear ok accroding to Vista and after several installs & un-instralls.

But PE will not see it. It will only show com1 as selected and all teh other ports are grayed out. Has any body any ideas, please?

I can use it on my XP pc no problems but trying touseit on my Vista laptop (HPHDX9450).

I have read a teh posts regarding this issue but can not resolve my problem.

Cheers.

dartec

Hi Hippy,

I don't have Hyperterm on my Vista install but good point and will try other programmes and check access to the various com ports.

Thank you.

westaust55

Do you have the AXE027 cable plugged into the PC before you start the Programming Editor.

My experience under Win XP is that if the AXE027 cable is not plugged into the PC before you start the PE then the PE defaults to COM1 and when you do insert the AXE027 cable later, the correct COM port is greyed out.

dartec

I have tried it both ways (I think) but will start again and make sure, in meantime using my XP PC.

Also, don't appear to have any programmes using com ports to test if com8 is visible, so still working on using Vista.

I have also recnetly turned one of my old laptops into a Ubuntu Linux machine and will try to use PE & AXE027 with that after reading the help files.

Finding Linux interesting and reminds me of my Unix days a long long time ago .....

dartec

PE has now stopped working with AXE027 USB on my XP PC. All ports are grayed out except com1 & 2.

It's so frustrating when this happens for no apparanet reason. Looking for any ideas as I have reinstalled many times now. Also according to the help within PE the ports are grayed out because in use by other apps, but what is using all my ports from 3 to 16?

Not tried the Ubunut yet as things aren't running well on that machine too. Gadget meltdown perhaps.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Not sure what's going on if they were working but have stopped. Seems more related to a Windows issue than Programming Editor, or all the USB ports have blown, or you've logged in as a different users and device drivers are not appearing.

I can only really suggest trying other serail port using applications to see if they can identify any of the ports along with looking in Device Manager and seeing if there's any entries there. There is a Microsoft USBView utility that will show connected USB devices but that may only work if they are being detected and enumerated. That and some other possibly useful utilities can be found on the FTDI site here ...

http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm

slimplynth

(for windows 7 and I think vista) if you open up the command prompt and type...

chgport

then hit enter, you'll be able to see a list of active comports.

(My Prolific USB serial adapter is showing on COM7, if i unplug it disappears from the chgport list)

kewakl

@dartec, I installed hyperterm on my vista home prem laptop.
do not remember the procedure, but google should give enough pointers.
If I could do it, anyone can!

dartec

Hi All,

Chgport not available on my Vista laptop.

As I am frustrated I orderd a serial cable from PIXACE at least com1 is always there.

Many thanks to all, this is one I will try and resolve as I go along but for now using the serial cable.

I have another problem now as my programme and circuit don't work after they did and leaving over christmas break ... bah humbug ...