Axe027 Cable Wont Install Driver

MurrayJ

I'm pulling my hair out here, Im not able to install the device driver, it states - "device driver installed correctly" and then immediately after "driver not installed correctly", I have the pdf file but nothing is the same as described, no wizard comes up, and manually updating does the same. I am running windows 7 by the way.

I have checked no ports available in editor and device manager reports problem with the ! in triangle.

At the finish of setup it states -

Axe027 Picaxe USB - Ready to use
USB Serial Port - Not Found

I have tried multiple times and get the same. What am I dong wrong?

Success! - Sorry finally got it, you can delete this now, cant find the option to delete it myself. I had to go to device manager to fix it. Very confusing, none of the steps for installing were the same as I got.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I would guess so. There do seem to be some cases of Windows not finding the files the pre-installer provides for Windows to use. It only seems to affect some people though so it seems to be a configuration issue or it could be in not following the procedures.

Most of the problems I see relating to AXE027 drivers are ultimately not following the steps exactly, sometimes pushing ahead when things aren't quite right and digging a hole for oneself, but we appreciate it's unfamiliar territory for most people and installing devices is not always as easy as it could be.

In the cases where Windows seems to not find the pre-installer installed files, or when one ends up with a partially complete installation, the best recourse is to manual installation as described in the AXE027 installation guide.

The three things to ensure for manual installation are -

1) That the files are extracted from the .zip to a separate directory on disk

2) When pointing device manager to the extracted directory, the top level directory is selected; the one containing the 'amd64' and 'i386' sub-directories.

3) That the Update Driver process is repeated for both cases of devices that may be marked with an exclamation mark.

MurrayJ

I tried both the preinstaller and the zip file. Although I'm no expert in either Picaxe or computer setup, I have been using the Picaxe since 2005 and computers since 1985. New computer so new driver installation needed. The problem was that the steps in the instructions would be simple to follow, but what happened was completely different, wasnt the same at all as that given. Dont know if it is a Windows 7 thing or just my computer. I got there by going to device manager and fixing things manually. Someone new to installing drivers would have had a lot of trouble, as it was I was stumped for quite a while.

manuka

MurryJ: FWIW -I've just had a student moan that his AXE027 gave similar Win7 PC woes. Instant success however came via a "blue green" USB-D9 ~US$4 cheapie (drivers were on the supplied mini CD), & he was rolling in minutes.

Attachments

MurrayJ

Not saying that anything bad about that cable, but since all boards I have use the 3.5 stereo socket, what would you use with that cable? How do you make it Picaxable?

MPep

By using a standard serial port cable (D9 connector at one end, mic connector at the other).