Axe 027 cable disaster

bfgstew

Good morning all,

I had a bit of a disaster yesterday with the USB download cable, I inadvertantly sent 12v down it/ up it, and it became red hot after that, so removed it immediately. A serious lack of care............!!!!!!
Anyhow, I can no longer download anything (suprisingly), I did the port test and that shows all ok, in PE it shows USB cable detected and ready for use, but nothing will download.
Now my question is, until I can get hold of a new AXE 027 cable, I have the old AXE 026 cable but my laptop only has USB, LAN and a VGA port, can the AXE 026 be adapted to be used on any of these ports?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

Jeff Haas

The AXE 026 looks like it's just a serial cable with connections to the phono jack, like the manual describes in the DIY section. You should be able to get one of the USB-to-Serial adapters discussed on this forum to work. However, that will probably need to be ordered off the internet...just like the AXE 027.

StigOfTheDump

Everything I have ever ordered from TechSupplies has come the next morning. Just take the rest of the day off as a thinking day.

nick12ab

I have the old AXE 026 cable but my laptop only has USB, LAN and a VGA port, can the AXE 026 be adapted to be used on any of these ports
No, not without a USB-to-Serial adapter. You could buy one of the really cheap adapters that Manuka recommends, but don't buy any other cheap adapter because many have counterfeit and incompatible chips in them.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I have the old AXE 026 cable but my laptop only has USB, LAN and a VGA port, can the AXE 026 be adapted to be used on any of these ports?
The AXE026 is a 9-way RS232 serial to jack plug so will not work unless your PC has a physical 9-way serial port or is used with a USB010 or similar which is a USB to 9-way serial adapter.

Buzby

Have you got ERFs and URFs ?.

You could use wireless programming, no chance of 12v into your PC then :)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You will have damaged the input to the cable, so although the output (LED test) may still work, the cable will definitely be operationally dead....

bfgstew

Have you got ERFs and URFs ?.

You could use wireless programming, no chance of 12v into your PC then :)
I have thought of that, but maybe for future projects, worth looking into though.

You will have damaged the input to the cable, so although the output (LED test) may still work, the cable will definitely be operationally dead....
I decided to remove the rubber casing from the USB socket, just out of curiosity to see what had happened and the chip is fried, the rubber had melted over the chip and under a large magnifier the casing of the chip had visible degredation due to heat damage........:(

Paix

Maybe Tech Supplies will consider a very minor discount if you buy the AXE027 in bandoliers for the slightly ham fisted amongst us . . . Think of the experience positively though Stewart, it saved the PC port from getting stiffed. That might have been a little more of a problem to solve than a quick parting with cash and an internet or phone call for next day appearance in he mail box.

It's not the cost of education that is likely to be the problem, but the cost of a lack of education. Seen on a poster where a chimpanzee was sitting in the cockpit of an F16 fighter . . .

I don't suppose that you will make the same mistake again in a hurry. Thanks for sharing the experience.

bfgstew

Maybe Tech Supplies will consider a very minor discount if you buy the AXE027 in bandoliers for the slightly ham fisted amongst us
You don't know how close to the truth you are there Paix!!!!!!

The worst thing is, I had my project set out on my bench on a lovely soft insulated non slip pad, download socket and AXE 027 cable on the left side, power cable and socket on the right side, with a dividing plastic strip between them to avoid them ever touching......... Then, me being me, got up to answer the phone in a panic, caught my foot in one of the cables and succeeded in demolotioning the set up and dragging it all off the pad and onto the bench, plastic strip onto the floor and all in slow motion both cables touching each other and all to answer a call from some b*****d from a call centre offering me PPI refund..................He got a an ear full and politely told him where to put his phone.............:mad:

Ho hum.............

bfgstew

New cable ordered so hopefully back in the saddle tomorrow.
It came just at the wrong moment, I had just got Nick12ab parallel bargraphs running on my OLED and was very impressed with its performance when the disaster struck........

Paix

Optimistically, it was only the AXE027 that got killed. I often wonder if bad things can be programmed to happen to these idiots annoying us by making nuisance telephone calls. Because they get paid for it, it seems to be legal. If you or I start phoning up people willy nilly, it will quickly be seen as harassment.

Foot catching a keyboard or headphone lead sounds very familiar here too.

JimPerry

Optimistically, it was only the AXE027 that got killed. I often wonder if bad things can be programmed to happen to these idiots annoying us by making nuisance telephone calls.
Warn them twice - then blow a whistle down the phone :rolleyes:

Buzby

.... Then, me being me, got up to answer the phone in a panic, caught my foot in one of the cables ...
It's not just you who has these moments !.

I was doing a very minor fix to my son's £80 British flag guitar shaped cd/radio, the phone rang, and I caught my foot on the power cable.

Result - One completely smashed British flag guitar shaped cd/radio !!!

bfgstew

Result - One completely smashed British flag guitar shaped cd/radio !!!
Ouch..............!

Back up and running, hooray!!!!!!
Cable ordered just after lunch yesterday, delivered this morning at 9am, now that's service for you.........................:D

Paix

No, but between many vendors now making sure that orders are fulfilled and sent out PDQ and Royal Mail having actually got their act together in recent years, things can move pretty quickly and ordered by four and delivered before or around lunchtime next day is no longer uncommon.

Shame about the cost of 1st and 2nd class stamps though . . . ouch!

Hemi345

Ouch..............!

Back up and running, hooray!!!!!!
Cable ordered just after lunch yesterday, delivered this morning at 9am, now that's service for you.........................:D
Wow Lucky! It took three weeks to get the SMD chips I ordered.

Last night I was tinkering and subsequently sitting in a whole mess of wires from dmm, project, psu, etc when I just about jumped up to go get something. I quickly thought of this topic and slowly and methodically stood up and untangled myself first :D So thanks for the reminder to slow down. :cool: