Automotive noise suppression

MartinM57

Yep - it's interesting. But just 'cos it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's right/the best/the most efficient in parts count/the most efficient in cost etc etc.

I like some parts of it and not others:
- not reverse connection proof
- not an automotive spec regulator
- doesn't obey the LM317 data sheet in terms of output capacitance
- 1421R resistor...err...
- I like the 100uH and the 5R resistor...
- ...but two 100uH/470uf low pass filters is waaay over the top
- and if he thinks that designing a circuit to eliminate 40Vp-p 3KHz AC is all that is needed in an automotive supply, then he doesn't think enough

Could do better. I give it a C.

(you're not SgtWookie I trust? :D)

pilko

MartinM57,----I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that his simm. included a 9/15v 476 triangular wave on top of the other input voltage, for a more realistic input test.

BeanieBots

Absolutely MartinM57,
I saw it on the internet, so it must be right.

There are quite a few circuits posted on this forum too.

MartinM57

On reflection, I've no real idea what that V2 box is doing at all. "476.mHz" is pretty (completely?) meaningless and the subtlety of the 9/15V description escapes me - it can't surely be an occasional 6v pulse on a 9v supply...or else he's not going to get 9v out of the regulator for most of the time.

If SgtWookie didn't have 11,748 posts on that forum - so probably knows what he's on about - then I'd say he was a bit stuck in the simulator world rather than the real world.

pilko

BeanyBots and MartinM57.

I didn't say "it's right", neither did I say "I saw it on the internet therefore it must be right". So please do not missquote me.

pilko

Dippy

In fairness Pilko didn't say it must be right... though as to whether it is a solution is another matter.
Anyone can design a galumping great low-pass filter, kids stuff. But without real world testing it's only hypothetical - especially when components aren't perfect.

MartinM57

Never did Pilko - I agreed with you that it was "interesting" as well. Then I went into keyboard warrior mode... :D

What did you find "interesting" about it?

BeanieBots

I didn't state that as intended to be a quote from pilko, more as a 'generalisation' of the notion that circuits on the internet are often taken as being "right".

As for its applicability to automotive use, then I go along with Martin's comments.

pilko

That's fair enough guys. Thanks for your responses. By interesting, I just meant I had not seen it before and it's different.

MartinM57

<harry hill voice>

picaxeforum.co.uk or forum.allaboutcircuits.com? There's only one way to find out....FIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHT...

</harry hill voice>

Dippy

Joking aside, we old Hacks have seen so many postings where people, for a variety of reasons, have lifted designs from Internet and then recycled them as though they were Gospel.

Unless you can trust the source I would always suggest a degree of caution.
I don't know who SgtBilko is, he may be a designer for ST Microelectronics, or he maybe a 12 year old schoolboy.

I'm sure the Sarg is fine, but I have seen a number of Forums where you get one or two egomaniacs who slowly turn themselves into Gods and post the most terrible rubbish. Yet everyone else, usually due to ignorance, laps it up. (That's 'ignorance' in the Dictionary definition and not derisory).

Look at this in the first couple of posts for a start:
http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8881.0
I'm sure it's perfectly safe and the Gasman will be really impressed ;)

After a while you can get as cynical as me and BB (and MArtin) :)

In fact it seems Martin has gone mad as he appears to like TV Burp!

boriz

I was a member of that forum (allaboutcircuits). I got banned! All I did was ask about a mains powered battery desulphator circuit idea I&#8217;d had. Permanent ban. No warning. It&#8217;s a good forum apart from the odd NAZI moderator. Just don&#8217;t mention anything that&#8217;s &#8216;potentially dangerous&#8217; and it&#8217;s fine.

Last edited:

Dippy

You got banned for mentioning a desulphator?
Blimey.

"Just don’t mention anything that’s ‘potentially dangerous’ and it’s fine."
- did you check the photos on that link?
Nice bare veroboards and wires stuck to a gas meter.
Electric stuff running along....

slimplynth

"Just don’t mention anything that’s ‘potentially dangerous’ and it’s fine."
- did you check the photos on that link?
Nice bare veroboards and wires stuck to a gas meter.
Electric stuff running along....
Awards are nice but not sure I'd like a Darwin next to my name.

SgtWookie

Yep - it's interesting. But just 'cos it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's right/the best/the most efficient in parts count/the most efficient in cost etc etc.
The whole idea was to come up quickly with something inexpensive, using parts commonly available here in the States, that would greatly reduce the likelihood of PICAXE "glitching" or over/undervoltage with Pilko's specified load voltage and current.

In the USA, we have "Radio Shack" stores in most towns and cities with even a moderately-sized population. Many "n00bs" are impatient to get their projects going, and if they have to wait for a week or more to get parts via the mail, they might just say the heck with it and try it without any such protection; which usually leads to very poor results.

I like some parts of it and not others:
- not reverse connection proof
If someone cannot tell the difference between a wire and the frame of an automobile, perhaps electronics is not a hobby they should pursue.
Besides, the output required was 9v from a 7809 regulator, which has a minimum 2v dropout at no load, from an automotive system that might drop to 11v or even lower. There really wasn't enough "headroom" to add such protection. However, the fuse would likely blow before causing real damage.
- not an automotive spec regulator
Many n00bs wouldn't bother to use an automotive-spec PICAXE, either. You'd be doing good to convince them to use an industrial-spec uC.
- doesn't obey the LM317 data sheet in terms of output capacitance
Ah. Here's the datasheet: http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM117.pdf
Look at the left column, bottom of page 9. Note the reference of 500pF to 5,000pF (5nF, 0.005uF) causing ringing. 0.1uF is 20x that amount, which should be sufficient to swamp the ringing. Note that the schematic I posted is the minimum that's required; the 0.1uF cap is right at the output of the regulator.

But really, it's out of context anyway, since it was stated in the text of the thread (that you apparently did not read) that the LM317 and two resistors were a substitute for the 7809 regulator that the original requester, Pilko, stated they were going to use. If you care to peruse datasheets for the 78xx series of 1A positive regulators, you will note that they require 0.33uF input and 0.1uF output caps, which ARE present in the schematic.
- 1421R resistor...err...
If you'd read the part about the 317 being used as a substitute for the 7809 because I didn't have a model for it loaded in the library, you might have understood that the 120 Ohm and 1421 Ohm resistors were representing those internal to the 7809 regulator.
- I like the 100uH and the 5R resistor...
- ...but two 100uH/470uf low pass filters is waaay over the top
Not really, when you consider that some transients will be quite large and longer in duration than the simulation.
- and if he thinks that designing a circuit to eliminate 40Vp-p 3KHz AC is all that is needed in an automotive supply, then he doesn't think enough
Funny; first you complain that the filtering is overkill, then you complain that the transient analysis is insufficient.

Getting back to what I said in the beginning, it was something to meet Pliko's immediate needs using easily sourced parts that would be inexpensive, and would give his project a much better chance of survival than what a typical hobbyist might use - just a 7805 with no input or output caps.

What I find ironic is that in one of your past posts, you posted a link to AllAboutCircuits regarding 7805 regulators in which I had tested a series of those regulators, and found a couple of them that oscillated in the MHz range without the bypass caps, and indicated that 0.1uF caps took care of it.

So previously, you used me as a reference, and now you attempt to criticize a schematic which actually IS in compliance with the specifications of the actual regulator that was to be used.

You also failed to note that in the thread about THIS schematic, I explained that it was not an optimized solution.

It's more of a "field expedient".

Could do better. I give it a C.
I say old chap, had you done more than glance at the schematic and taken things quite out of context, the grade would have been a bit better.

Meanwhile, failure to read and correctly interpret the accompanying text in the thread gives you a very kind C- :rolleyes:
(you're not SgtWookie I trust? :D)
He wasn't. I am. ;)

SgtWookie

On reflection, I've no real idea what that V2 box is doing at all. "476.mHz" is pretty (completely?) meaningless and the subtlety of the 9/15V description escapes me - it can't surely be an occasional 6v pulse on a 9v supply...or else he's not going to get 9v out of the regulator for most of the time.
V2 is a simulation of a voltage source of zero impedance that begins at 9v, and ramps up to 15v over a period of 1 second; stays at 15v for 0.5uS, then ramps back down to 9v over a period of 1 second. I typoed the pulsewidth; it should've been 0.1s instead of 0.5uS - but I only had 20 minutes to put the simulation together.

Keep in mind that I help out anywhere from one to a dozen or more people a day, and I definitely have a life outside of that forum. There simply isn't time to help all of the people who need it to begin with; often "close enough" leaves them far better off than where they started from.

If SgtWookie didn't have 11,748 posts on that forum - so probably knows what he's on about - then I'd say he was a bit stuck in the simulator world rather than the real world.
I'll give you real-world.

Real-world is when the aircraft carrier you are on is in pitch darkness at 2300HRS (that's 11pm), the ship is heading into the wind and making flank speed so there is 30-50 knots gusting over the bow, and you need to go repair the radar/missile fire control system in one of your fighter aircraft prior to it being launched a half-hour from now, and make sure it's going to work.

If you'd like to peruse some of the early training I went through, the books are available in .pdf format online:
http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm

I highly recommend them. If one reads them 8 hours a day, and took the tests (tests not available) and did all of the lab work (not available) then it would take them about 9 months to complete.

I completed the coursework 35 years ago, but didn't stop there. ;)

It might surprise you to know that SPICE simulation started being used quite heavily at a former employer of mine back in the early 1980's.
We developed the F14, F15, F/A-18 radar/missile fire control systems, and the processor for the F22 Raptor - among many other interesting projects.

pilko

Not that it changes this discution, but the OP was a new member named Greg, and it was for a Parallex system.
I asked you if you had any objection to me posting the thread on the Picaxe forum.

pilko

MartinM57

:D....welcome to the Forum SW

I'm a C- type of guy so I'm performing to expectations...but thanks for the considered and well written response. Nothing like a lively discussion :)

At the end of the day, it's still an interesting circuit, and I wouldn't use it in one of my designs.

Last edited:

MartinM57

SW's phrase
...that would greatly reduce the likelihood of PICAXE "glitching" or over/undervoltage with Pilko's specified load voltage and current...
seemed to suggest that you were the same as the OP on the AAC thread - but you subsequently clarified that and so I edited my post

SgtWookie

Joking aside, we old Hacks have seen so many postings where people, for a variety of reasons, have lifted designs from Internet and then recycled them as though they were Gospel.
There is a great abundance of truly awful schematics on the Interwebz.

Unless you can trust the source I would always suggest a degree of caution.
I don't know who SgtBilko is, he may be a designer for ST Microelectronics, or he maybe a 12 year old schoolboy.
Ahh, that's SgtWookie, thankuverymuch.

Back in 1977, I was a tall, skinny Corporal of Marines, with hair and mustache on the bleeding edge of the regulations, with a last name of similar pronunciation.
Our Marine Fighter Squadron had been to see the premier of "Star Wars" at the base theater. On return to our squadron hangar, my commanding officer, a Lieutenant Colonel, suddenly pointed at me and loudly proclaimed, "You're Wookie!!!"
As I was a lowly Corporal of Marines, my only proper response was "Aye aye, Sir."
It's 33 years later, and I'm still Wookie - although I received a promotion in the interim. ;)

I'm sure the Sarg is fine...
Ahh, "Sarg" or "Sarge" is Army. If you want to abbreviate, just call me Wook.
... but I have seen a number of Forums where you get one or two egomaniacs who slowly turn themselves into Gods and post the most terrible rubbish. Yet everyone else, usually due to ignorance, laps it up. (That's 'ignorance' in the Dictionary definition and not derisory).
There is always that danger. Some people certainly get quite carried away on "power trips."

My focus is primarily on "n00bs", who know little or nothing about electronics. I can hark back (are you any good at harking?) to the days when I didn't know anything about electronics either ... and having forums (such as this one and AAC) available would have been a real Godsend. Back then, we were stuck with whittling our CPUs out of wood... but I digress.

I have to make some compromises to get things down to a more or less "Barney style" approach to helping the n00bs get something working that is reasonably simple and not difficult to understand.

Look at this in the first couple of posts for a start:
http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8881.0
I'm sure it's perfectly safe and the Gasman will be really impressed
"Where's the 'Kaboom'? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering 'Kaboom'!" - Marvin the Martian

After a while you can get as cynical as me and BB (and MArtin) :)
While somewhat cynical, I try to keep things on the lighter side of naff.

In fact it seems Martin has gone mad as he appears to like TV Burp!
Practically everything on television nowadays is a huge steaming pile of bovine excrement. :rolleyes:

Dippy

Apologies Wook.
My poor overstressed brain put Sergeant and Pilko together.... and got something completely different :)

Yes, I know what you mean re: the rest of it.

SgtWookie

I was a member of that forum (allaboutcircuits). I got banned! All I did was ask about a mains powered battery desulphator circuit idea I’d had. Permanent ban. No warning. It’s a good forum apart from the odd NAZI moderator. Just don’t mention anything that’s ‘potentially dangerous’ and it’s fine.
Well, I'm not a Moderator over there. However, you'd stated your opinion at least once that you didn't agree with AAC's policy on sticking with "safe" circuits.

And then you proposed an extremely dangerous "desulpator" idea; dumping mains power right into the battery via an SCR or TRIAC. It would have removed the sulfation all right, but the earth-shattering explosion would not have left the battery or the operator in satisfactory condition - more like in pieces everywhere.

Look, I'm no stranger to high-power circuits; but I simply don't discuss them on the forum over there, as such things are not for neophytes. The goal there is for people to begin to understand some things about electronics in a very safe manner, so they can survive long enough to build on their knowledge, and eventually go on to bigger and "better" things.

I'm not perfect, and neither is everything I've posted over there. Perfection would simply require a good deal more time than I have available, and would cost more than a typical hobbyist could afford.

However, what I do post is relatively safe.

SgtWookie

Not that it changes this discution, but the OP was a new member named Greg, and it was for a Parallex system.
I asked you if you had any objection to me posting the thread on the Picaxe forum.

pilko
Ah, OK - no problem. ;)

I go through so many threads that I get the names jumbled 'round sometimes - remembering names is not one of my key attributes. :rolleyes:

SgtWookie

I'm getting worried by these self-portraits ;)
Just an over-the-top kind of funny ;)

Where's the link to Boriz's "Desulpator"?
Here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=35212

I didn't quite get the verbiage down, but essentially the same thing.

A disagreement with established rules/policies:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=209951#post209951

Suggesting a potentially hazardous device:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=201681#post201681

There are a few other examples, but like I said before, I'm not a moderator, I didn't make the decision to ban Boriz, nor had any input to the matter. I can only suggest that his stated difference of opinion with the posting rules/guidelines, coupled with multiple posts that violated the rules, earned him a one-way ticket out.

It's rather too bad, as he did have a number of interesting/humorous posts.

But, moderating a large online community can be a rather thankless task, and the pay is nonexistent (I have been a moderator on some professional sites). I happen to think that AAC has a great group of Moderators, who are quite fair and even-handed.

If a member here would post that they disagreed with the published rules, and had made multiple posts in violation of those rules, what other choice would a Moderator have than to punch their ticket?

Let the member run amok?

boriz

Re my desuphator question. Note the phrase “Could this be achieved”. Obviously there are safety implications, but the question was intended to (hopefully) get some sensible information about how it could be done safely, if at all, and how/if it might be made practical. After all, desulphators just generate short spikes of high current using inductor-inverter techniques (dangerous?). I was wondering if there were any point in doing that if you already had 240v available. Not an unreasonable question I think.

I’m still not convinced such a device would necessarily be dangerous with proper design (pulse current/width limiting). But since the thread was closed immediately, I have no information about that.

The permanent ban without warning was extremely rude and unnecessary. As is the moderator, who shall remain nameless as it’s a privacy issue and he (like me) is entitled to make mistakes.

I even emailed the board administration. Apologising and promising to never mention mains electricity again. No response. Again, pretty rude as far as I’m concerned. Maybe it’s an American thing.

SgtWookie

Re my desuphator question. Note the phrase “Could this be achieved”. Obviously there are safety implications, but the question was intended to (hopefully) get some sensible information about how it could be done safely, if at all, and how/if it might be made practical. After all, desulphators just generate short spikes of high current using inductor-inverter techniques (dangerous?). I was wondering if there were any point in doing that if you already had 240v available. Not an unreasonable question I think.
One of the basic concepts over there is that projects need to be isolated from mains power by an isolation transformer, as otherwise they cannot be made safe. Even entertaining such discussions can open up huge cans of worms. N00bs frequently ask how to power their projects (usually something like a uC) off the mains without using a transformer; well, it can't be done in a safe manner, particularly if they are a n00b. There are "tricks" that cheap old-time radios used, but that was before people got more safety conscious.

I’m still not convinced such a device would necessarily be dangerous with proper design (pulse current/width limiting). But since the thread was closed immediately, I have no information about that.
Really, it would be quite unwise. High currents would lead to high gas generation. If a dendrite formed between the plates during the process, it could start an arc that could ignite the highly flammable oxygen/hydrogen mixture. Even if it did not ignite the gases, it may be possible that the arc could occur where the plates were touching, and the plasma gas/arc would rapidly expand until it either reached a source of flammable gas causing an explosion, or completely destroying at least that individual cell.

The permanent ban without warning was extremely rude and unnecessary. As is the moderator, who shall remain nameless as it’s a privacy issue and he (like me) is entitled to make mistakes.
I'm not getting into that; I have no knowledge of any possible discussions about you except what was posted in the open forums, and I'm not even going to ask the Moderators about it because that is not my business.

I even emailed the board administration. Apologising and promising to never mention mains electricity again. No response. Again, pretty rude as far as I’m concerned. Maybe it’s an American thing.
Well, our Administrator has been offline for a number of months now, and I don't know the reason why, nor have I asked. It is not my business how much time he does or does not spend there.

If he is simply "taking a break", he doesn't need people like me asking him questions. I'm sure he has plenty of messages backed up in his PM box already.

If he is busy with real life situations, he doesn't need me to pester him.

I've been pestered to death with PM's and E-mails so frequently that I had to turn them off for a period of time, just so that I could catch up. I still have people PMing and E-mailing me to help them off-list. I just don't do things that way.

At any rate, the other board is run pretty much "by the book". There are people of all ages and experience levels on there, probably not dissimilar to this board. The powers that be decided to "run a tight ship" in an effort to protect the inexperienced members.

A few months ago, it was decided to no longer support exterior automotive lighting projects, as it was brought to our attention that such projects have caused many accidents, and in fact are illegal modifications in many countries.

Some people have a very hard time understanding why they can't just get some cheap auction-site LEDs, a few resistors, and slap them into their light sockets and they'll work perfectly forever. It just doesn't work that way.

It would be rather irresponsible to allow such discussions to continue.

The standard line nowadays is to have your exterior automotive lighting maintained as it was configured when originally sold, as at that time it met all of the legal and safety requirements for the area it was sold in. Yes, it might cost a bit more up-front to "do it the right way", but it is safe - auto accidents are very costly.

Dippy

Well, I'm not going to criticise other Forum's policies - especially where safety is concerned.
As you have said; the Forum is viewed by a range of people . And, of course, if someone breaks Forum rules repeatedly then kerchop...

I would imagine that if that kind of question (and , after all, it WAS a question) was posed on this Forum then it would be shot down with an avalanche of "don't do it for reason X" replies. If it got really silly then, I would assume, the thread would be deleted.

Generally speaking, it's a difficult balance isn't it; chop it off or talk it through.
But Rules are Rules.

Boriz,

I'm sure an expert could make your idea work, but the hazard potential is very high and asking for trouble - possibly very serious trouble too.
e.g. non-isolated mains connection and unhealthy high voltgaes kicking around - oooh too nasty to think about.
There are other s/mode techniques which could get around this but they are beyond the scope of most.
I strongly suggest no-one tries this at home.
Stick to non-mains designs - and even then be aware of the voltages used in desulphation.

Besides, desulphating / desulfating is a bit of a Black Art and everyone's design is, apparently, The Best ;)

I can see you are cross and feel unfairly treated, but maybe leave out the comments? Pretty Please.
It achieves nothing but creating bad feelings. And , ironically, could lead to THIS thread being cleared.

Ah well, that topic has been exhausted, time to move on.... per-lease!!
Can we leave it there.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Firstly, this is not directed at anyone in particular.

Managing a forum where people may be discussing or proposing dangerous stuff is incredibly difficult and we've run into the issue a couple of times here in the past. Everyone will have their own opinions on where the line should be drawn, have different causes to advance and interests to protect, particularly providers of forums who have legal duties of care in what can be a litigious society.

In a perfect world it might be that no one has to be protected from themselves, and whether they should be protected is a debate in itself, but reality is that some people do have to be and there are obligations to do so.

While debate on the principles of what is and is not acceptable can be informative and enlightening, please let's not turn this into a proxy battleground over other forum's management and policies.

SgtWookie

Agreed!

I am on various forums for various purposes. "When in Rome.... don't be a ******." ;)

Just very quickly on the desulphator thing - I've made a few small ones, I've had some reasonable results, they trickle-charge the battery while desulphating, they are not terribly different from other designs around. However, none of them are directly powered by the mains; the trickle chargers are transformers and limited to <2A charging rate. High charge current = internal heating of the battery mass = increased chemical activity = short service life. A 30° increase in the battery core temperature cuts the battery service life by roughly 70%. Once heated, it takes a LONG time for the battery to return to ambient temperatures.

If you want to talk any more about it, start a new thread. We've hijacked this one far too long, which I'm afraid I've contributed to. :( Please pardon my poor manners; I simply felt some kind of reasonable explanation was called for.

Back to the topic at hand - no, the auto noise suppressor I came up with on short notice is certainly not optimal, nor tested under real-world conditions in a variety of vehicles. Rather than simply calling it naff, it would be most helpful to the forum members if someone with the time and experience could come up with a reasonably priced, reasonably reliable made from readily available components for the PICAXE'er community, it could save quite a few blokes (and ladies, too) from suffering with burned-up uC's.

Since my time is limited, I am not really very familiar with components available in the UK, and I have no PICAXE's in my inventory (nor plan to acquire any in the near future), this would be a good project for someone on that side of the pond to volunteer to take on the project.

BeanieBots

Well that was entertaining guys:) and very polite too.
It's been a while since we had a little rant here and IMHO it's healthy to have one once in while.

Just a quickie to put poor old Boriz out of his missery on the desulfator.
Ignoring any of the safety issues (which are too high to even consider it), driving from a VOLTAGE (whatever that voltage might be) simply won't do what is required.
It's true that deslufation requires high current spikes but these are not to be derived by simply applying a high voltage. They need to be under control. This is done by charging an inductor and allowing the stored energy to discharge into the battery. such a method serves two purposes. Firstly, the amount of charge is finite which makes it inherently safer as any failure cannot discharge more energy than is stored. Secondly, the discharge characteristic is such that the terminal voltage will automatically reduce as the battery impedance comes down, making it self regulating. This in itself is a valuable characteristic to determine if/how much desulfation is required.