Anyone have info to add a wireless webcam ...

Andrew Cowan

Do you have a camera?

My 'bot has a standard CCTV camera (with IR night vsision), coaxial output, then that is connected to a 200mW wireless transmitter (kindly donated by 212). The receiver of the wireless system is connected to a 3.5" TV screen. The range is ~1 mile.

What kind of system are you after, and what equipment do you have? Buget?

A

Haku

Andrew, 1.2ghz or 2.4ghz?

I've had some fun putting a wireless wide angle CCD camera on the front of my Tamya TLT-1 truck and driving it using LCD glasses to get a 1st person perspective driving experience.
The transmitter on the car is 1.2ghz 1500mW and the transmitter+receiver both have a standard 'whip' antenna. but the image can break up at 100 feet which is disappointing.

jdev

well, guys I just have my webcam (genius) and don´t use it not munch. It have an usb port and trying to include for bot, but I cant find the way:confused:. So you´re the wises guys :cool:

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Webcams with USB interfaces don't often connect to anything but PC's because they need drivers for them, so little option but to put a PC / laptop on the bot to use it, and then have something to get the video stream from that PC to somewhere else.

Best option is to use a 'webcam' which gives out composite video so can connect directly to a video transmitter ( post #2 ), has a video transmitter built in or one which provides a Wi-Fi connection to it ( or ethernet to a suitable router ) so you can access it from a remote PC.

Analogue is probably best as that can feed a TV direct ( with transmitter / receiver ) and can be used on a PC with a capture card. Digital ( eg, WiFi / Ethernet ) goes straight into a PC so can be easier there but can consequently be difficult to then use with a TV.

Last edited:

jdev

Quote :
:eek::eek::eek:
Why do you have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're acting like you're somebody else gets me frustrated
Life's like this you
And you fall and you crawl and you break
and you take what you get and you turn it into honesty
and promise me I'm never gonna find you fake it
no no no​
Tadatadatata tata complicated :eek:

BeanieBots

I'm guessing that your wireless webcam already has some sort of reciever (USB dongle or similar), so surely it's just a question of giving it appropriate power and picking up its transmission.

BeanieBots

:confused:Anyone have info to add a wireless webcam for my bot project. thanks for any info:)
Sorry, didn't take in post #4. I took the above to imply you already had a wireless webcam.

In which case, what Hippy says (add laptop and/or wireless router) for the USB stuff:eek:

Cheap composite camera units abound and 2.4Ghz composite senders are not too pricey so that would be your best bet as described on post #2.

Haku

Basically don't bother trying to turn a normal wired PC webcam into a wireless camera for a robot, you'll just get frustrated wasting time trying to find out if it's even possible.

If you intend to view the camera on a PC there are a couple of ways:

Firstly a 'wireless IP camera' which is effectively a wireless webcam that connects to your PC/laptop through wifi.

Secondly a 1.2ghz or 2.4ghz video/audio transmitter+receiver setup. Small 'chalk-cube' sized cameras can have the transmitter built in but the signal strength is pretty low, for best results you want a CCD camera (cheap CMOS cameras are generally crap and can't see well in low light) plugged into a transmitter module of about 200mW or higher transmission power.
For the receiver end you can get units that plug into your computer through USB for viewing the camera, though most have a composite video output which you will need a capture device to view it on a PC - or plug it straight into a little LCD screen that has composite video input.