Any update on PE6?

bpowell

So I'm reading in the forum about the new features that may or may not be in PE6...any update on when it will release? Can we see a list of the new features maybe?

I see lots of speculation, but thought I'd just throw the question out there.

inglewoodpete

A weekend is a bad time to ask. Rev-Ed staff are probably thinking about the cricket, the sunshine or cold beer today and tomorrow:).

bpowell

Somebody (I missed who) had a post with links to a PIC that handled audio, video, and had USB...sort of suggesting (Joking I think) that PE6 was going to work with that chip...it wasn't a PICAXE...but still, I'm interested in what the chip was...but the post has been deleted.

bpowell

Found it...it was a ChipKit...Microchip 32-bit MCU in a DIP package...nice!

I recently purchased a tilt-compensated compass from Sparkfun something close to: LSM303DLMTR Breakout board and this was the first time I was unable to interface a product with the PICAXE...I just needed more hath horsepower (ATAN, SIN, COS, etc...) It would be sweet if PICAXE had an optional math library...

Which brings me back to PE6...I heard there might be libraries?

Armp

Found it...it was a ChipKit...Microchip 32-bit MCU in a DIP package...nice!
That is one heck of a chip for $4 direct from Microchip. I hope RevEd is working on a PICAXE emulator for it.
Any other comment would probably violate forum rules.

Dippy

Blimey Stan you're doing a lot of deleting and re-writing. You OK?
I suggest while you wait for PE6 download Mi'chip complier/IDE and have a go.
It'll keep you busy for a few weeks until PE6 emerges.

manuka

The PIC32MX1 (the MX2 has more SRAM) has been out since late 2011. South Yorkshire based ByVac offer a PIC32 DIP BV500 kit (with inbuilt "machineBASIC") for ~£20 shipped. No doubt Rev.Ed could/may indeed rustle up a superior PICAXE version, especially given the competitive inroads RPi is making further up market...

Keep things in perspective of course- it's perhaps akin to using a late model Mecedes for a shopping hack when a simpler Smart car would be far easier to get to grips with. Although for many tasks 8 bit micros remain ideal, it's however certainly worth keeping an eye on MicroChip's site for new releases.

Note-in spite of the benefits of breadboard friendly DIP outlines I wouldn't get too fixated on this increasingly dated profile. All manner of adapters are available for other packages (although sometimes at a heady price).

The Australian MBASIC Maximite uses a PIC32MX795F512H-80I/PT - another MicroChip 32 bit variant.

EXTRA: Dippy -it's well past local midnight & multitasking typos were to blame!

Armp

Keep things in perspective of course- it's perhaps akin to using a late model Mecedes for a shopping hack when a simpler Smart car would be far easier to get to grips with.
But in this case the Mercedes is MUCH cheaper

grim_reaper

Cheeky. We have discovered fridges y'know.

(Although sometimes the half-empty pint glass has to go back in the fridge for a bit for re-cooling :D)

jims

Sorry to seem stupid. What is PE6?? I did an advanced search on the Forum and came up with nothing.
Help.
Jims

bpowell

Sorry to seem stupid. What is PE6?? I did an advanced search on the Forum and came up with nothing.
Help.
Jims
The upcoming version of the PICAXE Program Editor (PE)...supposed to have a bunch of new features / functionality...at least, that's what the rumor mill turns out. :)

jims

Great! Looking forward to it; and I hope that the rumor mill is correct. If it is; it sure would be nice to have support for more of the unique i2C devices. Like the current "readtemp" command for the DS18B20 device.
Jims
The upcoming version of the PICAXE Program Editor (PE)...supposed to have a bunch of new features / functionality...at least, that's what the rumor mill turns out. :)

westaust55

... it sure would be nice to have support for more of the unique i2C devices. Like the current "readtemp" command for the DS18B20 device.
The DS18B20 is not an i2c device but a 1-Wire device.

For both i2c and with X1/X2 parts also 1-Wire the fundamental commands to communicate with all devices are present.

The PICAXE is in part intended to be an educational tool used in schools. They also happen to be used by many hobbyists and a few ‘commercial ventures’.

There must be something left for the student to learn and program.

If as rumoured there are library functions, then separate libraries that could be “included” for additional i2c and 1-Wire components could be an advantage.

Otherwise, where do we stop in providing support for components and modules?
There are many i2c real time clocks – which do Red Ed support fully?. There are several i2c based LCD displays made by others that have been discussed on this forum of recent using assorted i2c chips and pinout configurations, so which do Rev Ed support fully?

Last edited:

Buzby

A really cool idea would be a generic simulated I2C device.

Just an icon that you assign an I2C address to, and it then shows a set of generic registers at that I2C address.

This would let the simulation read and write to the registers, but you set the registers according to the datasheet of the specific device you want.

Allow multiple copies, each with different addresses.

westaust55

A really cool idea would be a generic simulated I2C device.

Just an icon that you assign an I2C address to, and it then shows a set of generic registers at that I2C address.

This would let the simulation read and write to the registers, but you set the registers according to the datasheet of the specific device you want.
QUOTE]

Such a generic i2c device simulation could be useful.

Use a PE directive to set the generic i2c device slave address

The popup window then showing say 24 ($0 to $18) sequential registers with the ability to accept data via the i2cout command and return data via the i2cin command.
If a PICAXE i2c command writes/reads multiple data bytes, then starting at the designated location/register (per normal i2c syntax) write to or read from that location and increment the register after each byte.

As an idea on some i2c device register requirements:
SAA1064 – 8 bytes for control of 4 digits
DS1307 / DS1338 RTC - 8 bytes for time and control
DS1337 RTC - 16 resisters for timer and alarms
DS3232 RTC - 18 registers that might generally be used for timer and alarms plus setup also temp.
CMP03 compass module – 16 registers
SRF08 Ultrasonic range finder – 36 registers but most users likely only use the first 5 or 7 registers
MCP23017 – IO Expander - 21 registers ($0 to $15)

Probably something for PE V6.1 at this stage . . .

Then as a parallel idea, we can have a generic SPI device that operated in much the same manner.