Any suggestions on books to buy?

Prototype

I was just wondering if anybody knows what book is good for learning picaxe apart from the manuals. That explains everything from the very basics in detail. I have seen a few on the tech supplies website but I am unsure of which one to buy.

Thanks.

Prototype

eclectic

I was just wondering if anybody knows what book is good for learning picaxe apart from the manuals. That explains everything from the very basics in detail. I have seen a few on the tech supplies website but I am unsure of which one to buy.

Thanks.

Prototype
Just my own opinion: None.

The Manuals and the Forum provide the most
up-to-date information.

Books do not.

e

Jaguarjoe

"The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz is probably the best single book that explains electronics. It's a little dated but the basics never change anyway.

westaust55

I concur with eclectic.

Revolution Education (Rev Ed) update their manuals reasonably frequently to remove identified typos and add clarifications. We just bring them to Rev Ed's attention via this forum or direct email.

Books such as David Lincoln's:
Programming & Customizing the PICAXE Microcontroller

are now dated and the Tech Supplies website currently lists it as out of stock.
That book is:
1. now well out of date (if you could find a copy) and does have some typos that have resulted in readers coming here with queries as to why programs from the book will not work.
2. does not cover many of the newer PICAXE chips

And it is not as if I intend to single out David's book alone. Other about the PICAXE chips are, I believe, in the same state. It would seem that there may be a new edition of Davids book soon but I still suggest that you don't buy any book.

When you want to use an interface chip, such as a 74HC595 or even a DS1307 RTC chip if and when you get to i2c comms, you can learn more by:
1. downloading and reading the datasheet for the chip involved
2. experiment for yourself - you learn more that way

And when you have tried for yourself but are still "stumped", then ask here for help.

BrendanP

I knew nothing about mcu's before I got involved with picaxe. I had some very basic electronics knowledge gleaned from assembling kits.

Via the manuals and this forum in 4 years I have gone from that to being able to converse and advise a couple of hw and sw engineers I have working on a commercial project. The hw guy didn't know about simple devices like LDR's.

Its logical to assume that something available for free like the manuals here will be inferior to something you pay for. Thats not the case, the manuals are excellent, I have noticed that they are written in the same way/format as manuals produced by companies like Motorola.

Dippy

As far as PIACXE goes I concur with most of the above re: using the Manuals.

(In any event they should be consulted and used as reference - that's why they are there strangely...)

Books obv go out of date, BUT books can give many more examples and , in many case, the principles don't change.

This is where Manual 3 should be doubled in size... I'm sure there are a dozen people on this Forum with spare time who are easily capable of writing 50 extra pages of apps and examples.

But even a general book on BASIC language would help kick-start. Once the gereral techniques and methods of programming have been absorbed then it can easily be tranlsated. (e.g. bitwise in any language).
This area is NOT covered by the Manuals.

The other kind of book to get is on Basic electronics. So many people fail to get off the ground due to not understanding real school-level basics.

It would be really nice to get a little list of publications that could be placed as a STICKY on this Forum - it won't happen of course but it would be nice.

westaust55

AI'm sure there are a dozen people on this Forum with spare time who are easily capable of writing 50 extra pages of apps and examples.
Likely so, but when I sent some words (some time back and likely pages actually) to Rev Ed to try and enhance one section of the overall manuals I received a "thanks but no change necessary" reply.

westaust55

ANd as it states:
"Features step-by-step instructions and helpful photos and illustrations "

Joining the dots IMHO does not teach how to do things for yourself.
Reading the datasheets and doing your own experiements does ...
but obviously one must be prepared to put in some time to read and re-read as necessary.

Then clearly there are some who are happy to just join the dots . . .

MFB

I have not yet seen Ron Hackett’s book but if the style is anything like his Nuts & Volts articles then it will be very detailed and certainly not just a ‘join the dots’ cookbook. His N&V PICAXE ‘primers’ gave very lucid explanations about using the scratchpad for background serial communication etc. This could just be the book that Rev-Ed has been waiting for someone else to write for them.

westaust55

That’s the same book that MFB mentioned in post 7 http://www.amazon.com/PICAXE-Microcontroller-Projects-Evil-Genius/dp/0071703268/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282463112&sr=1-2.

What intrigued me was the price structure:
3 new from $15.75 2 used from $43.53
:eek:

But if it had not been released yet that might explain the higher used item price, however by the slightly different link givien by MFB , Amazon indicates available now.

Last edited:

westaust55

I have not yet seen Ron Hackett’s book but if the style is anything like his Nuts & Volts articles then it will be very detailed and certainly not just a ‘join the dots’ cookbook. His N&V PICAXE ‘primers’ gave very lucid explanations about using the scratchpad for background serial communication etc. This could just be the book that Rev-Ed has been waiting for someone else to write for them.
Hope the book is better (more accurate) than the summary page on his website.
http://www.jrhackett.net/summary.doc

For example:
1. list of byte and word variables stop at w5 (should be w6) and b11 (should be b13) respectively - this can have beginners thinking there are even less variables than there actually are unless they go to rev Ed manual 2 page10 (currently at V7.0)
2. SERTXD is not "always at 4800 baud". If the PICAXE clock speed is increased (as it can be even on the smallest 08M), then SERTXD baud rate is proportionally increased
3. Label example given uses "Loop:" which is a command name and therefore illegal in PICAXE BASIC. (why not use something like "Repeat:")
4. MIN returns minimum value MAX returns max val
(wrong!, MIN sets/limits the minimum value and MAX sets/limits the maximum value)

Yes we all make typo's (aka spelling errors), etc and yes, that includes me. I try and fix mine where possible to the chagrin of others here, (and I likely still miss some :eek: ) to ensure the data presented is correct. Not from embarrassment, but so others reading later are presented with correct information and thus avoid more questions and or dissapointment later.

Last edited:

MFB

westaust55, your observations do give cause for concern. Maybe the proofreaders did a better job on Ron’s N&V articles. Hope the book does not turn out to be a disappointment because there is such a dearth of PICAXE applications material. Can't just leave the field to the Arduino community.

westaust55

Knowing that Ron does peruse this forum, I took a quick look back at his PICAXE summary page:
http://www.jrhackett.net/summary.doc

Of the 4 points I noted in post 15 (and saved a copy of the Sumamry document at that time), as at today:
1. byte and word variables have been extended to the full "basic" PICAXE (eg 08M, 14M, etc) variable range limits of w6 and b13
2. the comment about fixed baudrate for the SERTXD command has been removed
3. The program labelling example with the label "Loop:" has been change to "Top:"
4. Information on the MIN and MAX comamnds has been removed entirely

Good to see that Ron is pro-active

Last edited:
Westy-

Sure, as soon as I read your post I went back to take a look at my Summary document. I originally did it several years ago when I first discovered PICAXE, and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't looked at it since! "Loop:" was a perfectly acceptable address before the do...loop came along, but the other mistakes are all mine. Thanks for pointing them out, and let me know if you spot anything else.

Are you a professional editor in your day job? You're doing an amazingly thorough job with the latest revision of the manual.

Writing the book was a humbling experience, to say the least. It's surprising how hard it can be to explain some things clearly, even when you think you understand them! On top of that, there's a lot of info in the book about the M2 chips. Thankfully, Clive was willing to answer all my many questions, but it was pretty scary to write about chips that that I had never actually used. (My 18M2 chips just arrived this week, so now I'll get to test some things in practice.)

I'm going to set up an "Errata" section on my website for the book, so if you ever happen to read it, let me know all the problems you spot. Well, maybe not "all" (that might be a little overwhelming :), but at least the major issues!

westaust55

Westy-

Sure, as soon as I read your post I went back to take a look at my Summary document. I originally did it several years ago when I first discovered PICAXE, and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't looked at it since! "Loop:" was a perfectly acceptable address before the do...loop came along, but the other mistakes are all mine. Thanks for pointing them out, and let me know if you spot anything else.

Are you a professional editor in your day job? You're doing an amazingly thorough job with the latest revision of the manual.
Hi Ron,

No, not a professional writer or editor, etc.
But I do spend a lot of time reviewing other peoples documents and drawings,
and I am renowned for a red pen in the office.

Best offer I had was after reviewing 600 drawings from a Swiss company 5 years back, they suggested they would fly me to Switzerland for the next review pass as it would be cheaper than sending the drawings and a container of red pens. :)
My boss at the time was not so keen to take up their offer :rolleyes:

Funnily I have far more difficulty seeing typos on the screen than on a piece of paper even though I have worked with computers (at home well before work) via screens for over 30 years.
Give me a paper document and I can flick through it like a deck of cards and often spot spelling errors on the fly. The problem can be stopping at the right page. :eek:

Originally Posted by westaus55-

Funnily I have far more difficulty seeing typos on the screen than on a piece of paper even though I have worked with computers (at home well before work) via screens for over 30 years.
I know what you mean. I have read everything in the book (on the screen) at least two dozen times, but when I received my first paper copy last week I found a minor error in the first five minutes of browsing it!:eek:

papaof2

I know what you mean. I have read everything in the book (on the screen) at least two dozen times, but when I received my first paper copy last week I found a minor error in the first five minutes of browsing it!:eek:
I think there must be some natural law about certain errors only becoming visible after being committed to paper ;-)

That's why I have a laser printer that's economical to run (cheap toner) and only buy paper when some office supply store has a "bogo" (buy one, get one free).

John

fortis

Back to Prototype’s initial request, I would recommend Lincoln’s book to someone starting out, assuming the new edition appears as promised (Amazon says January 2011) and is better proofed than the first edition was (a number of typos in both text and code, plus some mixed up diagrams make a few projects frustrating). As an amateur who comes and goes from picaxe projects with long enough gaps to forget even the basics, it is useful having a summary in one place of all the things one needs to remember when using picaxe for practical purposes. I mean everything from remembering how to do decimal math with integers, converting between different number systems, interfacing and I/O expansion, the tricks of isolating digits from a Dallas temperature sensor and sending them to a LCD or serially linked PC etc. The example projects with extensive annotation explaining what each section of code does are especially useful to a beginner, with all the code available online to encourage working through practice projects of steadily increasing complexity. Yes the picaxe manuals and forum are invaluable for up-to-date details, but having a paper book covering picaxe basics is really useful for an amateur sitting in an armchair thinking about how best to achieve a practical end. As others have said, Horowitz & Hill is a great reference on general electronics, but it really is pretty dated now. The nearest modern equivalent I have found is the 2e of Paul Scherz’s ‘Practical Electronics for Inventors’, which I find useful despite again suffering from a serious lack of proof-reading (is there a pattern here????).