Another RF transceiver

Dippy

Thanks for that Charlie.
The second link is of interest to me - seeing as no European Manufs seem to do anything similar.
Sadly , from my own perspective, with the GBP:USD the way it is I can't see any benefit of the first link compared to an XBee.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The first looked more useful to me, 5V-12V, plug-in and go, no need for SPI or complex configuration but the site seemed short on specifics ( though I didn't dig too deep ).

I'll agree, looks like nothing can go wrong, but proof of the pudding is in the eating, so you'll never know until you try it or find someone who has. Perhaps be the first to take the gamble and buy a couple, preferably three because multi-link systems can have more problems than simple point-to-point, and you can also simulate the effects of 'rogue transmissions' from the third interfering with your own setup.

Looks easier to connect up and use than XBee but I've no idea how they compare, and as the link to the International Web Site is broken, no idea how they compare price-wise ouutside the USA.

premelec

I noticed these chips some time ago but didn't see the support - now that TI has taken them over there seem to be some good adaptable programming tools for them free at TI.com - let us know if you have good success setting these modules up!

moxhamj

The first one looks interesting. -108db which is very good.
The second one is -88db which is quite deaf.
So it would be worth paying the extra $3.

Is there a link to the programming software? The specs say "RF in, data out and Data in, RF out". But the important thing is "Nothing in =>? out", ie if nothing is transmitting, on the Receiver do you get a Low output, a High output, or a White Noise output? I'll see if there is some programming software out there as this will help answer the question.

manie

I tend to distrust something where blatant mistakes are just left in the documentation. The Pin-out shows Pin-8 as NC, but the application drawing shows Pin-8 connected ! Which is it ?? pdf attached.
Manie

Attachments

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Well spotted Manie. "Tatol Page" as well ( in both PDF's ), and what real use are current consumption figures when they include "with LED" ? And how do those LED's connect, anode, cathode, current limiting needed or not ? Why resistors in series on the control lines; are they essential or just good practice ?

This is where saving money translates to spending time experimenting and trying to track down information elsewhere.

It could be said that XBee go to the other extreme, so much information that it's overwhelming, but it's usually better to have too much and filter out what's not applicable than not have what is essential information or have to determine by experimentation, especially when nothing at all will happen until it is got right.

Dippy

I think we can assume they are made where English isn't the first language :)
Hence price.
However, with amusement, I must say that comments on spelling mistakes from this Forum reminds me of pots and kettles. I include myself....

Drac, I think saying -88dB is a little deaf is a little unfair as it is data-rate related, so maybe don't write it off.
It isn't designed to provide Moon-Earth transmission.

Phrases like Data In - RF out etc. are probably simple little phrases to catch the eye of the hobbyist.
Any RF Module designer designing 'Nothing In' and something out would need shooting :)
(I assume that is your implication?)
After all, all the cheapo (and not-so-cheapo) basic AM/FM modules are dataIn-RFOut and vice-versa.

But I agree, the Data Sheets are pathetic.

I can't speak for the 2400 version but the second one using the CC1100 needs some thought by the user.
It isn't a simple Data In - RF Out -- unless there is a uP on board which I doubt.
That chip does packetisation etc. and it is up to the user (you) to set the parameters by setting registers using SPI.
After the wrestling that I had with a similar product from Microchip (where I was trying, and failing, to include a Maxstream header) I would strongly suggest that this isn't suitable for the novice, as , essentially, your code will have to do much of what devices like XBee do for you.
Check the chipset if you don't believe me.
So, for things like XBee someone else has written the fiddly code, and hence the extra cost.

If it wasn't for the cost, the first item would be of interest.
Whilst I like XBee, it is OTT for functionality (for me as I'm not interested in ZigBee) and slow to set up via serial.
I would prefer to build my own packets, but there are big advantages with devices like CC1100 doing it all and CRC by hardware.
And being able to set regiters via SPI is much faster and moe convenient.
If I can get a 30% off voucher I might buy one.

I had looked at the CC1100 and CC1101 before but couldn't be bothered because of the PCB. But now someone is doing it I may revisit.
I would imagine the 2400 is easy and the CC1100 is fiddly. Just depends on your experience and patience.

premelec

TI Chipcon software etc

Go to www.ti.com - type in keyword 'chipcon' and you'll find data sheets and software for programming these chips - not trivial but looks very interesting... :) Quite a lot of versatility.

moxhamj

Thanks premelec.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cc1100.pdf this one?

If so, the sensitivity is listed there at -111db which is much better!

There is a little throwaway comment about "wake on radio functionality" on page 2. This could be *very* significant. The Wake on Radio description is on page 44. 900nA. It looks like it has an RC oscillator that uses a lot less power than the xtal, and when it is awake it calibrates this RC oscillator.

Last edited:

manuka

Certainly impressive specs, & 96 pages of them too. However this Chipcon offering has 20 pins, & although some can be considered redundant in simple 433 MHz work,the average PICAXE user will glaze over with so many connections! IMHO such modules better suit commercial/professional development in AMR (Automatic Meter Reading) kits etc.

N.B. Although 2.4GHz devices abound of course for this, crowded Asian cities apparently make 433 MHz (with it's better "punch" thru' obstacles) the preferred frequency.

Attachments

Last edited: