analog adc reading resolutions of any picaxe

peter howarth

I have a project that needs to accurately read down to as low as 50mV in 50mV increments up to about 2 volts, for about 30 increments of 50mV.. How accurate can I go with the picaxe devices of 08m, 14m, 20m 28x2 and 40x2 and preferably not use an external resonator..

AllyCat

Hi,

Absolute Accuracy is a complex topic, but 50 mV in 2.0 volts is 2.5% so it should be fairly easy to calibrate/validate a test measurement using any reasonable multimeter or dedicated Voltmeter. It's mainly a matter for your Hardware design, i.e. Resistor tolerances/ratios/stability and the Reference Voltage (e.g. External Supply Regulator or internal FVR), etc..

However, any of those PICaxe chips should be able to achieve better than 5 mV resolution (i.e. ten times higher than your requirement) using the READADC10 command (and of course a Word variable).

Cheers, Alan.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
READADC10, even with a 5V supply, will read to a resolution of around 5mV so any PICAXE should be fine.

Goeytex

If 2.0V is the max input voltage then you can use the 2.048V internal reference (FVR). With READADC10 the resolution will be 2 mV. With READADC it .will be 8 mV. With careful attention to grounding and component values you should be able to get an accuracy of +- 2 LSB.

To return an output in 50mv increments where 0 to 2V = 0 to 40 is a matter of simple math.

Last edited: