an illumination strikes my brain

mezzrow

Dear all, first of all an advice: this is not really picaxe related.

If you are still reading... here it is.

All started with this thread:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?29361-Failure-to-finish-and-cleanup-projects
It is about the fact that i' m not able, and in that thread seems that i' m not the only one, to finish a project in a good aesthetic way.

I mean: i have an idea, i work hard on breadboard and in software, try more, change all, restart …
then finally... it works!

And instead of put it in a beautiful box, finish it with labels and paint…
i have a new idea and leave it as in photo n.1!

This is a stereo mic for live recording in the “dummy head” way.
It is just 2 panasonic WM-61A omni electret mic positioned as the human ears, amplified with an
op-amp to a correct level for a digital recorder.

When you listen the result on a headphone the sensation of been there is quite
unbelievable.

Well, as you can imagine, i' m a bit embarassed to show it, as it is, to friends...

I am a photoengraver, a family heritage.
I earn the money to live etching magnesium plates for the print industry.
So, few days ago, an illumination strikes my brain...

why not use my craftman skills in a different way ?

In photo n.2 you see a image of the corel draw sketch for the dummy head box
it is all based aroud a 1x1 cm. form, 6 rows 4 columns make a 6x4 cm side plate, 9 rows 6 columns a
top plate … and so on.

You can put round and rectangular holes where you need them and also letter and signs with a narrow outline.

in photo n.3 you see the result of exagerate etching of a 1mm. thick plate.

In photo n.4 … the box quickly put together with scotch tape.

IMHO not so bad.

I have just etch the front side of a box with:
6x female rca
4x3mm. Leds
6x pot
1 switch

A drill nightmare before this idea, now have a look at ph5

So, maybe i’ m totally wrong ( when you have only a hammer everything looks like a nail ),

but if you have a photoengraver near you...

Waiting for the forum considerations.

Thank you for your time.

Mezzrow

Attachments

mezzrow

Sorry, never easy write in a different language..

no questions,

just the pleasure to share with someone else my little idea

;-)

Mezzrow

premelec

Hi mezzrow ... an interesting solution to boxing a project! i was not aware of 1mm engraving sheet or what's possible with that material - I am often aware of difficulty of good looking boxing of various projects....;-0 thanks for the comments.

lbenson

Both of those photos show boxes which enclose your electronics. How can you suggest that you don't finish projects? ;-}

Nice work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/akxegz0e4p5j61f/junk.jpg?dl=0

(Hmmm--tried to include the above photo with "Manage Attachments" but multiple attempts with different browsers and different jpg image files failed--showed download progress to 100%, but never provided the image for insertion or attachment.)

Buzby

(Hmmm--tried to include the above photo with "Manage Attachments" but multiple attempts with different browsers and different jpg image files failed--showed download progress to 100%, but never provided the image for insertion or attachment.)
I have the same problem, but if you switch to 'Basic Uploader' it seems to work every time.

BasicUploader.PNG

Cheers,

Buzby

binary1248

Same problem, never finish to look good. But now I have a laser cutter (plastic and wood) and can make great looking enclosures or control panels. Built a working wood gear clock, both in wood and plastic, and it uses an 08M2 driver/timing chip for pendulum swing.

IMG_0306.JPG
The red plastic panel was to replace the old panel with updated control system.

To see the plastic geared clock in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mH4DjO6qJQ

l

Last edited:

rq3

The stuff isn't cheap, and not all printers will work, but this stuff is great for one-off panels. I've used it alot, and with Epson archival inks, over-coated with Krylon acrylic, it lasts very well outdoors (9 years and counting). Comparable to the old 3M photosensitive aluminum.

https://alumajet.com/

lbenson

I have the same problem, but if you switch to 'Basic Uploader' it seems to work every time.
I sometimes get a "Basic Uploader" button and sometimes not, but clicking it doesn't give me anything different--when I pick a file, little timer circle goes round and then stops, and no file appears. This happens on IE and Chrome.

Sorry for the diversion from this thread topic.

mezzrow

to rq3:
sure a great finish, but my problem was always the correct position of round and square holes that you have to make on the panels.
In this way, if you plan correctly the project, everything is in the right place.
After the etching you just fix pot, switch etc. and put the box together.
Due to the design the sides easily entangle one in the other (photo4 post 1).

Mezzrow