Alternative RTC for AXE033

greencardigan

Is there an alternative RTC I can use in the AXE033 module that uses a different i2c address to the DS1307?

I have a MCP3424 ADC on an Arduino shield with both address pins pulled low giving the same address as the DS1307.

westaust55

Let's say that it is highly unlikely unless the chip is larger with more pins for addressing.
The first 4 bits of i2c device slave addressing is the same for all chips of the same generic type. Thus all memory chips start with %1010.... whether they are EEPROM, F-RAM or RAM.

Last edited:

Dippy

The Phillips/NXP PCF6563 has a different I2C Address to DS , and a nearly but not quite the same pinout.

I suggest looking around a bit before doing surgery.

Go to big supplier websites e.g. Farnell and Digikey and RS Components and do a search. They will have data sheets which you can download and study.
They may give links to maufacturer's websites where you can get the information you require.

greencardigan

The proposed surgery is not that bad. I think I only have to cut 1 track which will leave one of the address pins floating.

But I'll have a quick look anyway.

westaust55

The Phillips/NXP PCF6563 has a different I2C Address to DS , and a nearly but not quite the same pinout.

I suggest looking around a bit before doing surgery.
Pcf8563 ?

Slave addr is %1010 0010

Or pcf8583
Slave address is %1010 00a0 where a is 0 or 1
This has 240 bytes of RAM with timer/counter/interrupt

Neither have a battery backup pin

Last edited:

Dippy

Oops, typo. But my point still holds... as you have discovered :)

I found 4 typos in a 10 page Infineon Data Sheet so I feel quite good about that ;)

Dippy

Aha, well there we go.
Data Sheets (usually) rule OK ;)
... reading them helps I hear.

As an old sage once said: "Assume" can often make an "ass" out of "u" and "me" :).