A UPS for PICAXE Projects

saunj

Of course, it uses a PICAXE too, in this case a left-over 14M. Most of my projects are powered either from a vehicle’s 12 V or a “wall-wart” AC power supply, and therefore contain a 5V regulator. To get at least 7.5V at end of life, an 8-cell battery was chosen since a holder for 8-AAs is available. The charger will work from vehicle 12 V or a “wall-wart” AC power supply. The charge current depends only on the battery voltage, and is independent of the load current. Without charging input, the battery will run most of my projects for nearly a day. See http://www.projects.worsleyassociates.com and click on "10 Volt battery/charger"

Attachments

chipwich

Very nice. I'm partial to the code comments and sensible variable names, which make it easy to understand your charging algorithm. But I am curious: What do you power with it?

btw, the custom wood case is a nice touch, and seems to be a common theme with your projects!

saunj

I was asked what I use it for. I have two projects it is useful for. One is my Mobile Logger, which was announced in this forum. I can then use it to monitor for at least half a day where there is no power, or use it as a UPS. The other is on my website, but it is an Arduino project which measures 4 analogs with selectable ranges from 3-24 v, plus 3 digitals. The battery will power this longer, since it takes only 120 MA.