A small problem with my circuit

Hi,
I am using 3 common anode 12v rgb led strips.

I have been successful in pwming them for different colors using an npn transistor. I have each of their red, green, and blue pins connected together so each of the 3 strips are essentially connected together and doing the same thing.
But now, I want to turn each one of the 3 strips on or off individually (while they are still all receiving the same pwm signal).

I thought throwing a pnp transistor between the +12v and the anode of each strip and controlling them with a HIGH or LOW from the picaxe would work, but it doesn't.
After a few seconds, the picaxe gets very hot.

Could someone point out the obvious flaw in my circuit? I am really not sure whats going on here.

I think it might be because I am not using resistors in the circuit, but if that is the reason it isn't working, I don't know what values to use or where to put them.

Here is my setup as of now:

New Bitmap Image.jpg

MPep

The PNP transistors need their Base to be higher than 11.7V (or there abouts) before they are switched off.
As it is, the PICAXE board is getting 12V directly from the Bases.

For this system to work, you'd need to drive the PNP Bases from NPN Collectors, with the NPN Bases connected to the PICAXE.

inglewoodpete

A simpler drawing of a high-side switch, driven by a PICAXE.

You would insert your low-side switch (another NPN) in the lower leg of the output, between the 0v line and the load connection.
HighSideSwitch.gif