A PICAXE 'newby' approach to projects.

twebb

Here is my plan, I welcome your thoughts, comments and recommendations.

1. Written plan as to what I want to accomplish, nothing formal. Maybe a simple flow chart or simple "do this, then this, then this, etc" list.

2. I build the circuit with a simulator (VSM) and verify the results.

3. I breadboard the circuit and verify results.

4. I build the circuit on final circuit card and verify results.

If the project is "wireless", I split the project into a "hard-wired' phase and then a "wireless" phase. I do steps 2 and 3 twice, once for the "hard-wired" and then again for the "wireless"

My non-picaxe project experience has shown me that if a circuit functions OK on the simulator it will probably function OK on the breadboard.

However, if the circuit will not function on the simulator it probably will NOT be OK on the breadboard!! In other words, I rarely proceed to step 3 until step 2 is OK!

This is how I do it, certainly not the only way and maybe not even the best way! I hope these thoughts are helpful!

My approach is reminiscent of a scene in the movie "Hunt for Red October" where the aircraft carrier skipper says "Those Russians don't even take a s*** without a plan".

premelec

It really depends on your experience and style - serendipity is still interesting - what happens when you put 20 watts into a 1/2 watt resistor? :) I learned with solder and high voltages and often had no plan - ok you've got to have some idea of what you'd like to do but also be open to what you do do and what can be learned from it... 1/2 watt resistor in a simulator at 20 watts is underwhelming... have fun along the path of discovery - the number of mistakes I can make is infinite - I vow to try them all.... as well as the stuff that works...

I guess I'm hardware oriented - I learned to fly a small plane many years ago - I read the books and understood the mechanics of controls and flight but the first time I stalled out over the top and experienced that sensation of doing it taught me a whole lot beyond what I'd ever imagined or read about.... so jump in with a bit of direction- but not too much [don't want to hurt the cute little PICAXEs do we...]..

Last edited:

SAborn

I find one of the better ways is to set yourself up a prototype board with a picaxe on it and a few leds and pinouts etc.
Use it to test out the theory in each stage of the circuit, being hardware or software.
Once you have the bugs out of the overall design then proceed with assembling the full circuit on a board