A great forum idea!

vk6bgn

While reading through the forum tonight I came across a post by senior member "212".
The signature at the end of 212's post was this:

Project Type: (hobby):
PICAXE experience level (a bit):
General Electronics experience level (a bit):
The type of PICAXE chip you are using (08M):
Type of board (Homemade):
Program cable (Serial):
Editor version ( 5.2.1 )

Although not a new idea, it's a great idea! It seems when someone posts a question as simple as "I'm having problems downloading to my PICAXE". There is a mad rush of questions like, what PICAXE chip are you using? Are you using serial or USB? What editor version are you using etc. etc. I really think it would stop a lot of the repetitive questions.

Great Idea!
(If this was discussed previously on the forum, I must of missed it)

Last edited:

adub

While reading through the forum tonight and came across a post by senior member "212".
The signature at the end of 212's post was this:
I like that. Knew there was a good reason to use the signature lines.

In Bold really stands out.

Project Type: hobby
PICAXE experience level: 3 years of playing here
General Electronics experience level: I know: E=IR
The type of PICAXE chip you are using: 08M
Type of board: breadboard
Program cable: USB
Editor version: 5.2.1 on Vista

Last edited:

Dippy

Yes, I like that too.
I hope something like that catches on.

I would be tempted to have a simple Notepad text file which you could quickly modify for any project and then cut'n'paste. But that may take 10 seconds of someone's valuable time.

Sadly, most people will still just post "My circuit doesn't work" and then the rest of us have to spend hours extracting the blood from a stone. Like pulling teeth isn't it!?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Everyone is welcome to add such information to their signatures but don't forget that not everyone will see those signatures; each forum member can choose to have them shown or hidden ( it's an all or nothing setting ).

For specific PICAXE problems it is best to state exactly what the problem relates to and other relevant information in the main body of the post.

That "relevant information" is vitally important for people wanting problems solved and those trying to help, too much can sometimes be as inappropriate as too little. It's not always necessary to describe a full project in minute detail leading to a question on an issue which is not project specific ( for example, "... so how do I switch a relay with a PICAXE output ?" ).

There are no hard and fast rules, people are free to ask questions how they wish to, and it's certainly not a complaint that people are asking questions here in the wrong way.

westaust55

212's "signature" stems from some work that Mycroft and I did a while back.
See: post 4 at: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10982

This was in response to the Forum Etiquette thread:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10976

Nothing is perfect and a problem that arose was that some members took offense to the wording including the word "we". :(

I now tend to point some new members to that post in the sandbox as opposed to putting the content up as a response to statements like "my circuit don't work"

Last edited: