A control thingy !!

wildbill

This is something that i hope will generate a lot of responses. i am just about to embark on a new hi-fi project using ESP (sound.westhost.com) kit. I will be using toroidal transformers for the (individual) power supplies. As you know, transformers exihibit a large current surge at switch-on ( i think it's known as inrush ) and this is where the control thingy comes in. O.K. I want it to have a "soft start". I'm going to put my neck on the chopping block here, as i dont know if this will work: (please feel free to tell me that i'm completely mad, it wont be the first time)
My thoughts to combat this large inrush is to have a possible pre-start switch to control a circuit like a motor speed controller, which normally would use triacs, and have a digitally controlled potentiometer to emulate turning the speed (in this case power) from zero to full power in a time of say, 5 secs. This may be controlled with a 555 and/or cmos 4017 decade counter. Of course, the low cost of an 'axe to do this would make the project much more interesting and not that much more expensive. Also, please feel free to lose some sleep with this one, that way i wont feel quite as mad !!! Regards, wildbill.

Edited by - wildbill on 2/13/2006 8:25:22 PM

MartinM57

Why? (do you want to do this)

If it's to stop the speakers moving as power is applied then http://sound.westhost.com/project111.htm
would seem to be the thing you need - if the audiophile in you is happy with the speakers being connected to the amplifier via a set of relay contacts, that is!

Edited by - MartinM57 on 2/13/2006 9:17:57 PM

BeanieBots

Would it be too boring to use inrush suppressors.
They are a bit like very big thermistors. They start off as a high resistance in series with the transformer. As current flows, they get warm and the resistance drops to a low value.

Michael 2727

You may want to give serious thought to real
time logistics. Going from zero volts to say
40 to 50 volts over a period of five seconds
( the output voltage of the torodials )
may cause very strange oscillations in your
amp, e.g. what happens when you turn it off,
sometimes you hear a funny pitch changing
squeal, but this only lasts 0.3 to 0.5 seconds and the power is reducing at the
same time which may never be enough to cause
a problem. But to introduce a prolonged (5 Sec)
scenario in reverse may cause some issues.

Go for the relay arrangement which switches
the speakers in after a delay of 2 seconds.
This method has been used by profesional amplifier
builders for many decades.

I did Live sound for nearly 12 years, only
on rare accasions did my amp rack take out
any main breakers, we are talking 2,000W RMS
here at switch on. You flip the breaker and
off you go again. I doubt your system will
come close to this amount of inrush current.

Sometimes things look good on paper but in
practice are not very practicle in real life.

Just use the relay option.
Michael

premelec

To expand on Beaniebots comment - I've seen these as thermistors with a bimetal heat actuated swith nearby as well - when the bimetal switch closes the current goes though it and keeps it warm enough to stay closed - thus very low resistance... these things DO have to be balanced with expected current...

MartinM57

If it's only to protect the fuses from blowing once in a blue moon, as your PM suggests, why not just use anti-surge fuses??