"A compile file error has occured..." after 5.1.2 upgrade

pao

Windows Vista. ~117+ byte programs downloaded to PICAXE 28X1 problem-free under 5.1.1, they do not download under 5.1.2, giving error:

"A compile file error has occured...
C:\Users\patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\"

Many gigabytes of free space on the drive. Small programs work fine, so temp folder is writable; threshold seems to be about 116 bytes, but depends on exact code--probably due to packing vs. counting issues. Yes, I've rebooted my computer. Yes, I've removed the PE and reinstalled it. First time was the patch from 5.1.1, second time a full install using the new file. Even tried reinstalling the 5.1.1 patch over 5.1.2 (heck, worth a shot). Since I didn't keep a copy of the install chain for 5.1.1 (stupid) I'm going to try to copy the program folder off of another PC and see if that works.
--Patrick

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We do not believe this would be a Programming Editor issue, but more of a local system issue.

You could try redirecting the temp folder using the file network.ini in the main installation folder.

pao

Normally I would agree, but reverting to 5.1.1 fixed the problem, so it's something in the code delta from 5.1.1->5.1.2. I do need to try another system, and to modify network.ini and see if that works.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
If there is an issue, it is more likely to be a fault in the compiler for a particular 28X1 command, than the length of the program itself. If you can email the program you are using to picaxe at rev-ed.co.uk we will check it for you.

pao

Sure, I can do that. The reason I tied it to program length is because after removing some code, making the program shorter, then adding just assignment statements back in, I can reproduce the error. Look for email from Patrick O'Leary at a .edu address shortly.

rhce41

I have the same problem with 5.1.2 editor. I can comment out statements until the byte count hits ~116, then it downloads OK. Doesnt matter how I shorten the prog - shorter strings, less instructions - same result.
Interestingly, I can create a new program of "sleep 1"s (~3k++ lines) & fill the whole 4096 bytes.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Sorry for this issue, only affects 28X1 vA.0 with certain let= commands.

Patch 5.1.3 is now online to correct this, or if you have already downloaded 5.1.2 you can use this smaller single file download to manually overwrite 'progedit.exe'

<A href='http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/software/progedit513.zip' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Edited by - Technical on 11/06/2007 13:17:20