8x8x8 LED cube

bfgstew

Good morning all,

I have found this superb Instructable for an 8X8X8 cube, the only thing is it runs using the ATMega32. Rather than going down the route of using a different operating system/language/processor, can it be done using a Picaxe?

grim_reaper

Good afternoon,

That's certainly a comprehensive instructable. Since all the multiplexing is done with shift registers, I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to replicate it on a PICAXE. The authors mentioned using Serial-In-Parallel-Out (SIPO) registers as well, which I've done with PICAXEs, and can tell you it's straight-forward, once you get the hang of it. I haven't looked at the ATMega code they published in detail yet, but I still maintain it could be done relatively easily.

bfgstew

Thanks for that Grim,

I know Alan (Buzby) posted a blog regarding an 8x8x8 cube but not heard anything since, so maybe can get the ball rolling......:cool:

Buzby

... I know Alan (Buzby) posted a blog regarding an 8x8x8 cube but not heard anything since, so maybe can get the ball rolling......:cool:
I've not got anywhere with the 8x8x8. Too many domestic upheavals, three job changes, bereavement, arguments with tax man, etc. etc., and, to top it all, my name is not Alan !.

Cheers,

Buzby

bfgstew

I've not got anywhere with the 8x8x8. Too many domestic upheavals, three job changes, bereavement, arguments with tax man, etc. etc., and, to top it all, my name is not Alan !.
I do apologise Buzby, case of mistaken identity on my part, Buzby it is.