8M comm

CWells

I've been messing with serial communication for a while now...I have to have 2 outputs share an input line, making diode mixing necessary. I have some 1N914 diodes, and I was trying to find out how to orient them, and they seem to pass a logic signal regardless of which way I put it in the circuit. Huh?? Which end is the back stripe facing, and why am I getting a signal either way?

The input pin is grounded via a 10k resistor.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Or white stripe on some diodes, but stripe is universally ( unless someone can prove that wrong ) cathode, the pointy end -- as I could never remember my anode from cathode until someone ( can't remember who, but big thanks ) noted the Kathode looks like the |< end of the diode.

For Nxxxx baud rates you want the diodes pointing away from the transmitters, pointy-ends joined and into receiver, with possibly a 1K-10K pull-down at the join to 0V.

For Txxxx baud rates you want the diodes pointing towards the transmitters, anodes ( non pointy-ends ) joined and into receiver, with possibly a 1K-10K pull-up at the join to +V.

The 0V of all PICAXE have to be joined in either case, and both sides have to use the same Nxxx or Txxxx baud rates. I haven't found any diode which didn't work but low forward drop ones are probably best.

Last edited:

slimplynth

From the information given, my first guess would be a breadboard mistake, having them inline so the diode does nothing but appears to conducting in both directions. I'm guessing this is where a pebble cd could be handy, but I'm on my phone, in the bath.

John West

Or white stripe on some diodes, but stripe is universally ( unless someone can prove that wrong ) cathode,...
I once solved a production problem where every circuit bd being produced was failing test. It seems the manufacturer of the diodes used (a bag of 5 thousand of them) had put the stripe on the Anode end of the device. So it isn't always on the Cathode end - but it certainly should be.

CWells

Quick update - I just found my flourescent worklight is sending EMF signals into the circuit...??? I'm trying to "clean up" the area now...

CWells

Another weird thing - my receiver pin is connected to ground through a 10k resistor. I have the connector plugged into nothing. I'm getting a stream of random signals through the serial line. If I reach up and touch my (off) worklight, the stream stops. I'm not touching the circuit, and neither is the lamp. Huh?

I found I can move the lamp into a certain position, and the noise stops - but the diode circuit still isn't working. A tester circuit works fine.

Minifig666

Check your diodes outside of the curcit. You may have broken diodes. I beleve diodes main failure mode isto conduct both ways.

russbow

I think the 10k should be moved to the left, and connect between the commoned cathodes and 0v, the 1k then from this common point to the input pin.

Rickharris

It depends how your light is wired. Unplug and see if it still does this. Possibly there is current in the ballast coil that is creating a magnetic field.

OR the electronics in the lamp are acting as an aerial and picking up RF and retransmitting it to your cct.

OR your lamp really should be earthed.

CWells

It's not just the lamp - I may have to rig up a Faraday cage or something, as I'm getting stray signals with it off too, if it's in the wrong position. No grounds in this house. :(

Dippy

Have you, as suggested by minifg, checked your components out-of-circuit?
When I'm prototyping I tediously test every discrete before use.

A lot of this is about signal:noise and how to separate them.
All sorts of things can have an effect.

Why don't you post your circuit? And a photo of layout too.
Values, layouts, proximities and boo-boos all have a part when things go pants.
A fresh pair (x No.of viewers) may be able to help - but only if they are given sufficient detals.

BeanieBots

I agree with russbow about the 10k position.
If it's that sensitive, then sounds like a floating input. Either the 10k or possibly even your download circuit.

Flourescents are notorious for noise. They require several kV to strike and then they produce a plasma:eek: to give off UV to flourese.

As mentioned by Dippy, post a picture and circuit.

sierrasmith71

I agree with russbow about the 10k position.
If it's that sensitive, then sounds like a floating input.....

I have seen this symptom--it really puzzed me for a bit---all I had to do to get a circuit response was to wave my hand near the prototyping board .... It turned out to be a floating ground on an input---10K was there but not connected to ground as I was sure it was! :p

David G.

Maryland USA

Dippy

Good point David. People should always treble-check. It's good practice and good practice.

This usually why something like; "Why don't you post your circuit? And a photo of layout too." is broadcast ....

CWells

Which is why I posted a pic...

No time until tomorrow to move the 10k...I tried swapping the direction of the diodes, no effect, and I tested them, they're fine. The problem doesn't seem to be with the code, or any bad connections, or any bad components...no low batteries, Picaxes are running fine, and a logic tester sees the signal before the diodes...

BeanieBots

Have you double checked that your 10k is 10k?
Diodes conducting both ways and erratic behaviour still indicate no pull-up/down. ie. a floating input.
This is tried and tested method of mixing inputs so however sure you are of correct circuit, somewhere, it's wrong.

Saw your schematic, but didn't see a pic.
Post a picture (photo), somebody might spot a silly.

Last edited: