650 nm 200-250 mw Laser not work with 20M2

Buzby

The circuit is very simple. It's basically as per the datasheet.

There is a built-in load resistor in the S6986 ( other devices are open-collector ), so I just added a simple resistor and NPN transistor to drive the indication LED. There was also a diode to provide a 'diode-OR' function, as the device was 'paralled' with other identical circuits to make a multi-beam gate.

The laser was wired direct to the S6986, exactly where the datasheet expects an IR LED. The S6986 has a constant current drive ( ~ 35mA ), whereas the other devices have an open-collector drive.

The duty cycle of the device is about 1:8, so a 35mA current equates to just over 4mA continuous, well within the laser's limits.

The S6986 can work upto 16v, so I drove the whole circuit at 12v, to ensure I could drive both 3v and 5v lasers. The constant-current drive supplies the same current no matter what the supply voltage.

This might sound complicated, but these devices are so easy to use.

Attachments

4jaba6

The circuit is very simple. It's basically as per the datasheet.

There is a built-in load resistor in the S6986 ( other devices are open-collector ), so I just added a simple resistor and NPN transistor to drive the indication LED. There was also a diode to provide a 'diode-OR' function, as the device was 'paralled' with other identical circuits to make a multi-beam gate.

The laser was wired direct to the S6986, exactly where the datasheet expects an IR LED. The S6986 has a constant current drive ( ~ 35mA ), whereas the other devices have an open-collector drive.

The duty cycle of the device is about 1:8, so a 35mA current equates to just over 4mA continuous, well within the laser's limits.

The S6986 can work upto 16v, so I drove the whole circuit at 12v, to ensure I could drive both 3v and 5v lasers. The constant-current drive supplies the same current no matter what the supply voltage.

This might sound complicated, but these devices are so easy to use.
Thank you Buzby!