6 digit counter

sagacity_61

1. Does anyone have a pointer to a schematic/code for a 6 digit, 7 segment LED counter using an 18X ?
2. Can it be done?
i.e. pulses out - events counted up to 999999

Guess I should have been more specific.
Can this be done JUST with the picaxe and no peripherals.
i.e. multiplex to 7 segments and six digits

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

1. Why?

2. Have you done a Forum search? Driving 7 segment displays has beed discussed hundreds of times.

3. Have you done a Google search?

A little effort on your part would go a long way.

bgrabowski

Manual 3 shows how 4026 display driver ICs can be cascaded together to give a two-digit output. This idea can be extended to the 6 you require.

sagacity_61

1. I have a need for one
2. The forum doesn't touch on six digits
3. Google points me to this forum
4. Get off you high horse

Mycroft2152

1. I have a need for one
2. The forum doesn't touch on six digits
3. Google points me to this forum
4. Get off you high horse
S,

I am fine sitting here on my high horse. while you are sitting in your high chair waiting to be spoon fed bits and pieces.

A liltle effort on your part would go a long way.

If you cannot understand how to expand a 2 digit counter (as in the manual) to six digits, them you should not attempt to build one form scratch. Buy one form eBay,

Myc

alphamike27

6 Digit Counter

I have just finished building a 5 digit counter using 4026's. They handle the input pulses and decoding to 7 segment LEDs. "Carry out" from each 4026 gates the next 4026

I have used an 18X to handle the inputs and manage the pulses to the 4026's

The setup is used as a people counter in alarge shopping centre and incorporates IR beams across the entries to the centre.

System includes error detection such as blocked/failed beams

eclectic

Mike.

That sounds great.

Could you post details, either in the main/active Forum
or the Finished Projects section?

e

nbw

large numbers = long time

Have I understood the 4026 correctly - but each pulse (from the manual) is 10ms. To get the number 76 would it take 760ms or is the 4026 smart enough to pulse the first to '7' - 70ms, then 6ms for the '6', so only 130ms all up?

I want to show 3 digits on a temp display - a temp of 29.2 deg C would take 2.92s to update if the 10ms was the case.

I'm not sure I agree with the wiring on the diagram in the manual. It looks like the left digit gets clocked first? I would have thought it would be the other way around. I am going to wire it up eventually... if something can confirm or unconfirm my suspections, I would greatly appreciate it!

BeanieBots

The 4026 is a simple counter with a carry output. So, if wired as a simple counter and pulsed every 10mS, it will take 292*10mS to show "292".
However, it is possible to wire each digit to its own output and clock each digit individually. Hence, it could be possible to update the given example in as little as (2+9+2)*10mS. (plus a little more for intermediate bits of code).

nbw

thanks BB, I thought that might be the way to go. I could clock the 2+9 together, and the last digit separately.

Now that I'm expanding to build a salinity meter (need 2 more digits, 5 total), I'm upgrading to the MAX7219 - using code courtesy Martin here on the forum. It seems a realtively painless chip to use! I'll have to study it carefully to see if it will drive my CA displays (I have loads more these than CC, would be good to use a few)