4x4 Keyboard Matrix using 20M2

RED-EYE

Hi

I would like to decode a 4x4 Keyboard matrix using a 20M2, however the outputs need to be binary code to go down a DATA bus. I have tried many different ideas but none so far successfully. Any ideas would be appreciated please.

westaust55

In case it is not in a "standard" matrix format can I suggest that you post a link to the keypad datasheet or provide a schematic diagram for it.
Then post a schematic diagram showing how you have it connected to the PICAXE so we know which IO pins you are using.

Here is a link to a typical keypad wiring diagram:
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=S5383

It may be advantageous to post your code as tried thus far so folks can see what you are trying to do and where you have gone wrong.

Last edited:

RED-EYE

In case it is not in a "standard" matrix format can I suggest that you post a link to the keypad datasheet or provide a schematic diagram for it.
Then post a schematic diagram showing how you have it connected to the PICAXE.
Sorry cant upload image as them forum wouldn't let me for the keyboard! But the schematic digram for the connection can be anything it doesn't matter!

jinx

But the schematic digram for the connection can be anything it doesn't matter!
With respect it does a keypad is made up of rows and columns you got too work that out or use the data sheet,.

eclectic

Sorry cant upload image as them forum wouldn't let me for the keyboard! But the schematic digram for the connection can be anything it doesn't matter!
Could you explain further please?

The Forum accepts a wide variety of formats.

e

inglewoodpete

Could you explain further please?

The Forum accepts a wide variety of formats.

e
Further to that, if the item is illustrated or for sale on line, you could post a link to the item.

I have used 16-key keypads that use a 1x16 (17 pins), 2x8 (10 pins) and 4x4 (8 pins) matrix. How have you wired it to your PICAXE?

If you want help, you need to be specific.

p

RED-EYE

Further to that, if the item is illustrated or for sale on line, you could post a link to the item.

I have used 16-key keypads that use a 1x16 (17 pins), 2x8 (10 pins) and 4x4 (8 pins) matrix. How have you wired it to your PICAXE?

If you want help, you need to be specific.

p
8 pins, one for each column and one for each row. 4 columns, 4 rows. haven't wired to picaxe help needed on that

westaust55

8 pins, one for each column and one for each row. 4 columns, 4 rows. haven't wired to picaxe help needed on that
@ REDEYE,
back at post 1 you indicated:
I have tried many different ideas but none so far successfully.
So what exactly have you done so far ??

Also at post 1 you indicated:
however the outputs need to be binary code to go down a DATA bus.
Outputs of what?
What data bus?

with respect to valid file types, when you enter the file manager, at the bottom of the window is a list of acceptable file types:
Valid file extensions: bas bmp cad doc dsn gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf plf png psd txt zip

http://emartee.com/product/42022/Mini 4x4 Matrix Keypad

Is a link to the a very similar keypad but mine is slightly older and i don't know where it is from but is the same style as this one
Have a look at the wiring diagram from the link I gave back at post 2.
Do you have a multimeter (DMM) check the keypad wiring is the same. If not we need to know what format it is arranged in.

The keypad you gave a link to above has no "key" identifiers. What codes do you seek from this keypad of yours.
PLEASE provide more information so that other may help you better.

RED-EYE

WESTAUST55

I will spend the rest of the day compiling the information and upload it tomorrow some time possible as a video explaining the whole project. It will take a lot of time to do this as this is just one small subsystem in a bigger project but to help people have a think before tomorrow it is a calculator for teaching small kids basic maths.