433MHz

I know there have been a lot of posts re 433MHz Tx/Rx, but I can't find one that answers my question of whether they will work indoors bounce around corners/through 4 1/2 inch brick dividing walls for about 50 feet. Anyone know?

David Miles.

eclectic

Here at last is a question I can answer authoritatively, from experience.

Sometimes/ possibly / sometimes not.

And that's NOT being facetious.
Just moving the tx/rx a few centimetres can change the whole lot.

You must check for your house, antenna etc. etc.
e.

Dippy

Quite right.

Depends on the quality of the modules / power / your pcb layout / quality of modulation / your antennae (Tx and Rx) / nearby transmissions / background radio mush.

I've had 433/434 FM (Radiometrix / RF Solutions / LPRS) modules sending simple un-Manchestered 2400baud data through 4 brick walls and much more than 50 feet with home-made helical antennae (on decent ground-planes).

You'll probably find people in NZ have had 'em working 100% through 10 brick walls and 500 metres!

I'm afraid it's time to part with the cash and have a go. All I can say is spend a few extra pennies and get good quality stuff; FM preferably with an RSSI output so you can check it with a READADC.

But first, read the module's Data Sheets as it'll tell you about optimising your setup too.

eclectic

I'll just add to some of Dippy's comments.

Day of the week and time!

I've got some cheap AM tx/rx modules.
I've had problems between 07.00 - 09.30
on weekdays.
That's when most of the locals open their car doors.

e.

D n T

Have you considered building a repeater??
Use serial in then depending on the length of thr data, assign variables to each part.
pause for 5 millisecs to be safe
serial out

Just an idea

manuka

Repeater= GREAT 433 idea, &amp; I covered just this for a Jan. 2006 Silicon Chip article =&gt; <A href='http://www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/433rpt.jpg ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>. Otherwise highly recommend grabbing a UHF scanner &amp; monitoring the frequency, as co channel 433.92MHz interference increasingly a major issue. Stan

Dippy

A not-too-cheap repeater seems a little excessive for 50 feet through walls doesn't it?
You've got 3 options:
1. Don't bother.
2. Try a simple Tx/Rx set up.
3. Two tins and a bit of string.

Option 2 seems the best, but no-one can predict the outcome of radio in your specific application. Just make sure you get decent modules and NOT Beijing 20 pence specials.

If there is excessive Co-Ch interference you have to consider option 3 above.

Dippy

I have 2 cats; Marconi and Eddison.
But they only chase moles so I'm OK.

Edited by - Dippy on 14/08/2006 14:01:02