40x1 support in simulator lacking

RBruceM

Sure would be nice if the simulator would support the extra ports of the 40 pin parts. Or did I miss some configuration setting?

Also, when set to 28X1 mode, I can't edit variables. It will let me enter a value, but it does not register the change. I don't know if that's an unimplemented feature or if it's just the 28x1 mode that's having problems.

Please also note that there seems to be a serious firmware bug in the 40x1 such that during power on firmware intialization the port c pins (especially pin 0,1) are driven high until the basic code sets them otherwise (as input or low output). This makes using port C a tricky business- as input circuits could get fried, and output circuits get a free power on randomization. I apologize if this is the wrong place for this note- I didn't see a spot for firmware bug reports elsewhere. A test program consisting of nothing or a pause, with LEDs hooked to c0, c1, c2, c3 will confirm this. All 4 of my current 40x1 parts on hand do this.

Bruce M
Snowflake, AZ

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The simulator does not currently support 40X/40X1 parts.

To change a variable value during simulation double click on the varaiable value in the 'variable panel'. We are aware that only b0-b13 work at present, the additional X1 variables have been fixed for next release.

Please confirm your 40X1 firmware version so we can look into the bug report.

RBruceM

Thanks for the info on the simulator, technical.

My 40x1 parts say they are firmware version A.0. Is there a newer version without this problem?

I just purchased these less than 3 weeks ago from World Educational Services- the only US distributor who carried them. All three 40x1's in that order came with very badly mangled pins, inside a plastic chip carrier tube- so it was NOT shipping damage; someone at WES mangled them. I'll be glad when you have a better stocking distributor in the US. Sparkfun does not carry the 40x1 parts.

Bruce McCreary
Snowflake, AZ

Last edited: